Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Live 5-10 turned set facing 3-bet

No reads on villain. I just sat at the table, and my image is possibly a mix of a rock and weak tight.

5-10 blinds. I open for 30 with 1010 in EP, 4 callers including villain in MP.

Flop: J K x rainbow
Checked around

Turn: 10 that brings a flush draw.
I check, villain splashes 35 into the pot, LP calls, I check raise to 160, villain reraises to 335. I ask him how much he has behind, he has 500. What's my action?

Who likes a lead on the turn and a 3-bet push? As played, do I push or just call?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Live 5-10 turned set facing 3-bet

Only 2 realistic hands (AQ and Q9) are beating you. Given that this board contains a lot of combo draws/2pair hands, if this guy is aggro whatsoever, i'd probably just shove over his raise on the turn.

Any live reads?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 AM

If you have a really strong read that he doesnt do this with anyhting but the straight, then go for a call and fold a non paired board on the river. But if there is any reasonable chance he does this with 2pr or a combo draw then push over his turn bet.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM

In all honesty, given that the flop was checked, and seen FIVE way, this is AQ a huge % of the time. Throw in Q9 and bizarrely played live JJ, and your set is actually rarely good here. I interpret the initial $35 small bet as one designed to induce a raise, and if this is a case, it's a problem for you.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, given that the flop was checked, and seen FIVE way, this is AQ a huge % of the time. Throw in Q9 and bizarrely played live JJ, and your set is actually rarely good here. I interpret the initial $35 small bet as one designed to induce a raise, and if this is a case, it's a problem for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely don't see anyone having a higher set here FWIW. Q9 and AQ have me, but does anyone else find his re-raise size - only +175 after I raised him 125 - to be suspicious? If he really wanted to induce a raise with the bet, I think he would have made it 300 more to go with a straight.

I thought for about a minute and made the call.

River is a brick. 800 in the pot and villain has 500 behind. What's my action? Bet call push, bet fold, check call?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM

His $35 bet followed by the small repop after your CR is extremely suspicious. I really doubt this is a two pair hand.

JJ is more common here then you think. It doesn't make up a huge part of his range, but from time to time live players will do this.

Relevant factor is the fact that this was raised preflop and five players saw a flop that got checked around. Thus, AQ very possible, and Q9s also in the mix.

You can't really bet/fold the river, would be fairly difficult to lead into 800 for 300, and then fold for another 200.