Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: The Übernit

Well, I’m not gonna lie. There’s been some reversals. I was really, I was really up big. I was cruising along. Man, I caught a frozen wave of cards like you [censored] read about.

lol anyway, it was quite the experiment. I was running at about 12ptbb/100 after the first 3k and just caught the inevitable nasty stretch. No hands worth mentioning, but pokerev says i'm running 2.5 ptbb/100 below expectation, and i'm sure i was hot before. A few things learned: I'd been drastically overestimating the value of image at 5nl. I'm much improved at table opening/closing dexterity after today. I am going to screw down my game a bit and see how I run at around 15/12 and work on extraction, this has really shown me how bad I am at it. All in all, it was fun, got me thinking, and i didnt lose money. win/win/win.

nh gelford.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 AM

8/6/AF Infinite

might be the best style for 5NL ;-)
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 AM

Oh, wait. I misread OP and kept cold calling 22+ facing one raise and no other calls. That explains a lot.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 AM

Good post Gelford though IMO eventually everyone needs to move out of this and add the uncovered dimensions to their game...and as you say "learn a style based on stealing) I still consider that a TAG style....at such a point obviously though it can cross to LAG.

I'm surprised when you said you played like this all year. What were your stats if you don't mind? You never thought about trying to loosen up and such with the goal of moving up through the levels and gaining a bigger edge by being able to profitably play more hands?

I remember when I first started playing cash games you were a somewhat rare poster but somebody for me to pay attention to. I would have thought you'd be playing above 100 now. I'm doing pretty good at 100 right now over a somewhat small sample. If you don't mind...have you tried playing higher?....and what did you think about it?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post Gelford though IMO eventually everyone needs to move out of this and add the uncovered dimensions to their game...and as you say "learn a style based on stealing) I still consider that a TAG style....at such a point obviously though it can cross to LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure ... I never said anything else, this is presented as a good place to start for those that need something solid from which they can work.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised when you said you played like this all year. What were your stats if you don't mind? You never thought about trying to loosen up and such with the goal of moving up through the levels and gaining a bigger edge by being able to profitably play more hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

No until recently I had no other income than poker and a monthly of around 2500$ (or more if I wanted to do something fun), So my primary concern was just to print money thru volume.

[ QUOTE ]

I remember when I first started playing cash games you were a somewhat rare poster but somebody for me to pay attention to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought you'd be playing above 100 now. I'm doing pretty good at 100 right now over a somewhat small sample. If you don't mind...have you tried playing higher?....and what did you think about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing like this with a profit up to and including 200NL.

I never had the roll to play 400NL, so it's has all just been underrolled shottaking, that never succeeded. The thing with 400NL seems to be that pf aggression is huge, so I end up doing a good bit of flipping often which I don't mind having a pokereducation playing sngs, but it can be heavy on your roll.

I suspect you can grind out a profit like this at 400NL if you do not fall into the gator trap and adjust your bluffing frequencies so they match your opponents aggression and floating (also start to balance your riverplay .. in other words 3 barrel)

But if your question is, do I need to be scared of higher limits, then the answer is no .. there are fairly weak players everywhere it seems, but they do get more and more aggro tho.

Personally I have no longer any need to show a profit anymore .. and thus been experimenting a good deal (I did a 3 month stretch playing lag while shelling out a nice chunk on coaching about a year ago, it's not that I can't get my vpip over 30 if need be). Hopefully I'll be rolled for MSNL at the start of 2008 (Work is unfortunately cutting into my poker time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 AM

I appreciate the response...and a very good one at that.

You mentioned poker education in sngs. I started my serious/I am playing for money online poker playing at sng's. I did it at Stars and started at $11 regular sng's. At the end I think I had about a 10% ROI at 27 turbos and like 2/3% at 60 turbos.

I'm just wondering what your sng experience was like?

Used SNGPT and the like?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the response...and a very good one at that.

You mentioned poker education in sngs. I started my serious/I am playing for money online poker playing at sng's. I did it at Stars and started at $11 regular sng's. At the end I think I had about a 10% ROI at 27 turbos and like 2/3% at 60 turbos.

I'm just wondering what your sng experience was like?

Used SNGPT and the like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, SNGPT and the works ... I used to cruise the Party 22s-33s, but then disaster stuck finally with me losing a zillion flips in a row (good, bad whatever, I lost it) and dropping 40BI. ... so I needed a break and hit 25NL .. and found that I could replicate an equal hourly on a much smaller roll

SNGs are a good learning place, since you can get by on pushbotting ... and the sheer volume of it can give you a lot of experience (and the creapy crawly nature of wa/wb lines in sngs make you actually also develop reads and skills after a while as well)

That being said, unless you're a poker noob or bigjoe, I can't see a good argument for playing sngs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 AM

big joe is such a balla
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM

i'm not gonna take time to read this, but gelford basically sucks at poker soi'm gonna assume it's a waste of time.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 AM

also, i have noevidence to base this on having never played wiht him or read any of his posts but imo i am probably right.