Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: homeless person encounter

[ QUOTE ]
so anyway I come out of the grocery and a homeless old lady rides up on a bicycle (pretty cool I thought for a homeless to have a bike, I mean it was a really crummy bike but good for gettting around), and asks me for change or whatever, and since it was a woman and she was real skinny and since bread was on sale if you bought 2 loaves I had 2 loaves and so I offered her a loaf of bread, she said ok, I kinda shifted and one bag opened and I was like take it, she looked at me and said is that wheat, I said yes (hello, it's bread), and she said oh I can't eat wheat (she elaborated a tiny bit but I can't remember), and pedaled off.

standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

She realized the perpetuating mechanism of welfare.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so I offered her a loaf of bread, she said ok, I kinda shifted and one bag opened and I was like take it, she looked at me and said is that wheat, I said yes (hello, it's bread),

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Friends walking out of a Mellow Mushroom (pizza place), bum approaches and asks for money so he can get a bite to eat, they offer him the leftover pizza they are taking home (untouched slices). Declines.

Very standard homeless behavior.

The liquor store doesn't take pizza.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very standard homeless behavior.

The liquor store doesn't take pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's the feeling I got. probably crack though. pretty sad really.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM

I side with the cynical disillusioned on this one. My mother had the same experience as TomCowley except it was with an untouched muffin.

I wouldn't say outright that a homeless person would never accept food instead of money, but I think you can safely say that any inconsistency strongly indicates they really wanted something else.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Its probably not really that hard to get food in any major city if you really want it. We hear statistics about hunger among the homeless and those in poverty but hunger doesn't really mean starvation or lack of food, it usually means a lack of the quality and diversity of food necessary to be healthy.

Basically I'm agreeing with everyone in the thread that any sober, rational homeless person has absolutely no reason to beg for food or starve. Now, I don't know what % of homeless people are sober or rational but it can't be very high (things like schizophrenia are RIDICULOUSLY prevalent among homeless populations) so some probably do still starve to death.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM

she must have grown up in the 70's cause when you said "bread" she thought cash
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM

While we are on the topic, I agree with an earlier post that not all homeless people are addicts. My daughter and her friends were at a concert recently. I had to pick them up at a certain gate when the concert ended.

I got there a little early and while I was waiting I saw a guy skalking around. We struck up a coversation. He was a homeless guy but, as he explained and I deduced from other factors, he was not an addict but just enjoyed living on the streets and helping his fellow homeless people out.

He was at the concert for one main reason. Its difficult to get alcohol(drugs are easy) into concerts so there are alot of unfinished bottles hidden outside the concert in various nooks and crannies. He searches (he had about 3 bottles up to about half-full when I came across him)for these bottles
and then as he said "gives them to his homeless friends so they can have the occasional night of drinking decent booze rather than vanilla extract, mouthwash etc." Quite noble in a homeless person kind of way. He cared about his friends. Anyhow, he was a nice guy and kept me company during my wait.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vanilla extract

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I doubt homeless people will pay for vanilla extract to get alcohol. It's hard to imagine a more expensive way to get it. If this guy actually mentioned vanilla extract, I'd seriously suspect that he was levelling you.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM

No that was artistic license. He mentioned 2 things and I forgot one of them. What would it be? I wasn't being levelled.