Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Default multitabling and 1-2-3 distribution

there was a post a while back about finishing distributions and bubbling and such. someone posted tournymanager distribution and i posted mine.

basically i have a spike in my seconds.

of the 40ish % i'm ITM,
i'm
29% 1sts
39% 2nds
32% 3rds

i've been trying to figure out why the spike in 2nds and mightve come up with it today.. while multitabling (16-20), i pay more attention to tables where i'm on the bubble than when i'm itm.

this is getting me more than my share of itms, but finishing 1st in less than 1/3 of my itms.

if i could take 8% of my 2nds, and split them between 1sts and 3rds, id increase my roi by 2%, and increase daily monies by almost 10%!

any suggestions for more firsts once itm, while still doing my share of "not bubbling"?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: multitabling and 1-2-3 distribution

1st place is heavily affected by got lucky (cards or suckouts). Survival (2nd/3rd) is where skill shows up more often. I'd expect a good player to have a higher proportion of survival ITMs (2nd/3rd) than 1st place ITM.

I am usually not the chip leader when the bubble bursts and by then blinds are high enough I'd expect chip counts to be the most significant factor in final placements.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st place is heavily affected by got lucky (cards or suckouts). Survival (2nd/3rd) is where skill shows up more often.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM

2 questions

how big of a sample size?

do you think you are pushing enough itm? Just having my roomamte watch me play yesterday and he was thinking my Q7 wasnt a push heads up when my opponent had about 7-8BB made me think its not standard for every multitabler like I thought it was.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Filter your hands in Poker Tracker (assuming you have it) for only 2-handed. See if you're winning or losing chips. If you're losing chips, you're probably not aggressive enough and giving opponents too much credit when they are.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM

yeah thats pretty much what i wanted to say, just in a much better way.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1st place is heavily affected by got lucky (cards or suckouts). Survival (2nd/3rd) is where skill shows up more often.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL huh? Really? How many times have you slid into the money because people were idiots on the bubble? If you don't suck, it's LOTS and lots. You survived to ITM, but your chip position sucks for a 1st place finish at that point.

Because survival is so profitable, you're entering the ITM phase with your stack size skewed towards the lower end (over many samples). Of course you hit times you dominate through skillful manipulation and come in a big stack, but you'll typically need to be lucky with cards to have that opportunity. Survival takes less luck of the cards to achieve.

LOL all you want, but proper ITM bubble play is clearly a huge key to SNG profitability and many, many times that means sliding ITM while someone else is stupid.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:16 PM

-sample 8k +

im trying to filter.. on the general info tab on the bottom right i click filter, then clear everything and set between 2 and 2 at the table.. and its not actually filtering.. wtf
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM

If you're getting a lot of 2nds, you might not be aggressive enough once you get ITM. Don't be afraid to bust out in 3rd if you think you have a chance to take a risk and put you in a great position to finish 1st. I think having a lot of 2nd place finishes compared to 1st and 3rd come from playing passively, trying to fold your way from 3rd to 2nd and then ending up shortstacked when heads-up.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM

One reason is probably because you play too many tables.

Venetian, what is your 1-2-3 distribution?