Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: I generally don\'t fold sets in sngs.

I think you need a more specific read than just "solid" to justify a fold. It depends too much on how the villain sees the bettor and the caller - he could for example be squeezing with Ax dd. FWIW, I think I call unless I know the villain well enough to rule out some kind of semibluff.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 AM

call and river quads
Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 AM

It just happened by coincidence that half hour ago i was rereading Harrington II and at the beginning it was strongly telling off someone who laid down a set putting opponent on a better set.

In this case I am although with Echo, mp3 can only have 66, 7d8d or KdQd are also a possibility but will he really be willing to put the tourney at risk that early on a drawing hand or with top pair?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 AM

I'd call. I've folded the odd set before. I wouldn't on this board. People do strange things sometimes, especially at the 16s. Just because he's a winner at the 16s doesn't mean he's good. If he has 66, yay him, I really think calling here is right and I would actually do it pretty quickly.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM

that looks SO much like AK to me, but who knows
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just happened by coincidence that half hour ago i was rereading Harrington II and at the beginning it was strongly telling off someone who laid down a set putting opponent on a better set.

In this case I am although with Echo, mp3 can only have 66, 7d8d or KdQd are also a possibility but will he really be willing to put the tourney at risk that early on a drawing hand or with top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but if he called with 78dd and isnt pushing in this spot thats pretty bad.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM

I don't think you can rule out AK of diamonds here, with that many limpers it's possible he choose not to raise preflop.

It's early and you have very little invested in this hand, but I would of called I think you are ahead often enough to do so.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM

Ok for all of you in the ZOMG SET! camp, you can sleep easily at night knowing no sets were folded in the making of this HH.

However, i did adjust the HH just a little bit, i was actually MP3 and thats how i know what his range was obv. When i was coldcalled by button i knew he had 66 (he is a friend of mine who plays good) and i made some joking comment about rigged setup hands and busted.

Anyway, was talking to someone else and they said its just a cooler hand, and i claimed had i been acting after him i would have folded preflop, and he said folding sets was bad etcetc, so i posted it here.

I'm really not too sure if its correct just based on the knowledge your opponent is solid, but i really think my range is like 66 70% and KQd 30% here AT BEST.

Thanks for the replys anyway, i've decided to try to start posting a few more interesting hands if i can actually find some while playing.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 AM

I would generally call here. Actually I have only folded 1 set in May [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, if I was villian I would have 66 100% of the time. So I guess it's pretty read dependant.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would generally call here. Actually I have only folded 1 set in May [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, if I was villian I would have 66 100% of the time. So I guess it's pretty read dependant.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i guess thats the main problem, you have to be pretty damn sure you know your opponents range and preflop tendencies before you can fold here