Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Best volunteer opportunities?

So this summer has been a complete relax summer so far, ie get up at 2 and my only obligations are to go to the gym with my friend 3 times a week and smoke a bunch of weed. One thing I've done is familiarized myself with Excel, and am continuing to do that.

I am starting in the business school and University of Washington starting this fall, and plan on focusing on Accounting, going to grad school and becoming a CPA. I want to make some sort of impression on my resume aside from what I already have, so I don't waste this summer, and the easiest way would seem to be volunteering. What are the best volunteer opportunities that will look good on the resume? Anywhere like a soup kitchen? Assuming it's nearby, which would reflect best? Which would grant me the best letter of reference?

Thanks for advice, I promise to use it to make sick bank in the future.

For Seattle people, I live in the U district if you happen to have any firsthand experience there.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Best volunteer opportunities?

[*] So you just graduated from high school?
[*] No volunteer thing is going to look "good" on your resume. No one is going to care, unless you like volunteer at one place for 10 years and direct it or something. or if you volunteer at a hospital because you want to go to med school.
[*] Don't volunteer anywhere unless you actually want to do it.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Best volunteer opportunities?

If you are "volunteering" to boost your resume, the only volunteer activities that will look good are ones that give you massive responsibility, for example, you balance the books for a soup kitchen or direct a fundraising drive for an organization. Accounting grad schools will look at GPA, whatever GREs they require, statements of purpose, and any internships you did in college.

That being said you should go down and volunteer at the soup kitchen, and keep it off the resume.