Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Why are people so crazy when it comes to preventing sex?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The argument is about who decides the curriculum, not who can teach the curriculm the best.

Who do you think should decide the curriculum?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question. When I say sexual education, I don't mean the abstinence-based "education" nor other religiously angled twists.

I think experts of sexology backed up by statistics would be qualified to decide what it is better to teach the children. I don't think that religion should have any saying in this, which would be a problem with the Christian-influenced politics of USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you don't get to write the definition of education. Education is whatever is taught in the school.

Who appoints these experts to decide the curriculum? The parents/teachers/govt?

It's not about religion. It's about individual liberty. If a parent is not allowed to teach their child what they believe in, that sounds like an extremely oppressive society to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting subject. I will never understand the frightened view Americans have on sex, cursing on TV, and sex on TV.

Be honest with the kids. Condoms work and they should be aware of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, for crying out loud teach kids about sex. It is the one of the most natural thing in the world for a human being and it is important to teach them to have a healthy and natural view on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says you.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll grant that it is indeed my opinion, but a positive view on sex is also shown to be correlated with happiness and life quality overall.

Do I for instance believe that parents should be allowed to teach their children that sex is bad? No I don't, as I would consider it child abuse - call me a tyrannic swine.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: So how is.......

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Teaching sex is biology, giving kids condoms is a moral issue in most sane people views. there is a difference between dictating morals, and science. One is concrete, one is not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think there's a difference between handing children condoms and just giving them access to them? For instance, any nurse you would go to in my country has a huge bowl of condoms freely accessible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very much so. IMO, a person of authority giving a child a condom, no matter what you teach them (actions speak louder than words et al) is a lot different than having a bowl on a desk in case a kid approaches asking for guidance/condoms etc. One is an unspoken "its okay for you to have sex", and the other is a sane preventative measure.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, you don't get to write the definition of education. Education is whatever is taught in the school.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was trying to explain what I meant when I used the term sexual education.

[ QUOTE ]
Who appoints these experts to decide the curriculum? The parents/teachers/govt?

[/ QUOTE ]
For making it mandatory by law, it would necessarily be decided by the government. In the best interest of the people, the government should decide laws with the advise of experts. The experts should be the sexologists I mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not about religion. It's about individual liberty. If a parent is not allowed to teach their child what they believe in, that sounds like an extremely oppressive society to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Discussions like these often tend to end up in "nobody should decide what's better for me!". However, if research and experts were to say that children greatly benefit from straight-forward sexual education, I see no problem with making it mandatory for all children.