Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: do you chamber pot?
yes sah 3 33.33%
no sah 4 44.44%
nummy in my tummy 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Weekly/Hrs Poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play like 10-15 per week, I'm pretty lazy. Wish I could play more but it gets boring and my play suffers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand how some people are playing 10-15 hrs per week when its there only source of income, either you play very high or you don't really make much?

Or is this type of player balancing another form of income like stocks or another casual job??

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in this boat. I 10 table 100NL 15 hours per week and make $70 an hour (12k hands/week on average)... a G/week is quite enough to survive on especially given the fact that I'm an extreme minimalist.

I don't see any possible way that I could play more, 10 tabling for 3 hours is extremely mind numbing and I like to take trips with my friends on the weekends.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But poker is different, it is much harder to have a support network poker, it seems it is a very individualistic pursuit. It also seem to be very consuming. I myself am 22 and play quite alot? Am I wasting the prime of my life? Do others ask the same questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am not satisfied with my life at all. I have no concept of the value of money and since my girlfriend dumped me I really don't have anything that means anything to me anymore. Plan is to go back to grad school and be a teacher as it seems like a meaningful/enjoyable job where you don't have to do that much actual work. The one thing that I have appreciated about my poker career (currently 22...3 years as a full/part time pro... graduated college 1.5 years ago) is that it has taught me that money alone is not going to make me happy.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I am not satisfied with my life at all. I have no concept of the value of money and since my girlfriend dumped me I really don't have anything that means anything to me anymore. Plan is to go back to grad school and be a teacher as it seems like a meaningful/enjoyable job where you don't have to do that much actual work. The one thing that I have appreciated about my poker career (currently 22...3 years as a full/part time pro... graduated college 1.5 years ago) is that it has taught me that money alone is not going to make me happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you have walked the path I feel I'm on...

JT
Old 05-24-2007, 05:46 PM

It's a bit of a weird one for me, I have so many other commitments that I want to ditch just to play poker, but when I get the oppertunity, it would seem I don't play half as much as I should.

By no means am I awesome at the game, but my records show I'm a winning player and I did enjoy it, but now that I have set out to improve and take the game more seriously, it has become such a struggle and I find myself reluctant to play at all some days.

Btw, I play about 20 hours a week at NL100. It really isn't fun any more!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 PM

wow i cant belive there are people actualy out play 100nl for a living... does it ever cross ur mind to move up stakes? it seems to me that poker would very lame if i u where 10 tabling super low stakes i mean there is a point where u just have to grit ur teeth and say im goin to go play 200nl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM

Hmmm, maybe I need another hot chick picture....?

I'll hold off, don't want the thread to get sidetracked.

In other news, I've decided to rejoin my local gym and start running twice a week, I also am investigating getting back into theatre sports [kinda like 'whose line is it anyway'] as I used to be a stand up.

FWIW: poker > Stand up comedy

JT
Old 05-26-2007, 03:41 AM

Ok, so after looking at the results of the survey I've decided around 30hrs looks like the best amount of time to spend for a full time pro. This may seem like a small number but remember that poker can be very stressful.

Do others agree with 30? Or are we more happy with 40?

JT