Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Update on SSNL

I'll wait for the movie. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, Matt -- I'm quite eager to read the book. Oh, and to the people who think this might make the games tougher: bad players read books and don't understand them. They misapply the concepts and get themselves in over their heads. They mistakenly believe they understand everything and then they fall on their own swords as a result. Good players read books and get far more out of them than a bad player ever could. Even if a bad player improves somewhat from reading this (or any other) book, a good player will improve much more from doing the same work. I admit that this book will likely make some of the fish slightly less fishy, but it will make the good players (by this I hope I'm talking about "us") even better: the difference between the bad players and good players will get even WIDER.

Oh, and some good players and some bad players WON'T read the book, and we'll gain ground on ALL of them.

Getting good at poker and staying good at poker require time and effort. Matt's making it easier on us to achieve our goal of becoming better players. Thanks, Matt.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Pokey, I see it as the inverse. The good players probably already understand most of the concepts, weather consiously or subconsiously. The bad players dont. So therefore, the bad players that actually DO read the book will learn, and although the good players also learn, they learn much less overall than the bad players who had no idea to begin with.

Your theory sounds nice, but a strategy book for any game rarely makes the skill gap WIDER [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM

Book should be solid. It won't change the games much though. 90% of poker is bankroll management and emotional control.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokey, I see it as the inverse. The good players probably already understand most of the concepts, weather consiously or subconsiously. The bad players dont. So therefore, the bad players that actually DO read the book will learn, and although the good players also learn, they learn much less overall than the bad players who had no idea to begin with.

Your theory sounds nice, but a strategy book for any game rarely makes the skill gap WIDER [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You naysayers are totally missing the point. If a bad player desires to learn by reading a book, there are already a few good books out there that will allow them to improve enough to give a good SSNL player headaches (Theory of Poker, HOH, Little Green and Little Blue Books, NLT&P, etc).

If a book has material that greatly closes the gap then I submit that the player who right now thinks he has SSNL mastered in fact isn't as good as he believes.

Matt,

Based on the negative feedback in this thread I guess you will probably have to 86 the NL book, hopefully this will allow your book of Challenger jokes to now move to the front burner [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Book should be solid. It won't change the games much though. 90% of poker is bankroll management and emotional control.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
90% of poker is bankroll management and emotional control.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooo wrong.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Based on the negative feedback in this thread I guess you will probably have to 86 the NL book, hopefully this will allow your book of Challenger jokes to now move to the front burner [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can help you out....

Q: Why does NASA drink Sprite?
A: Because they couldn't get seven up.

Q: What color were Christa McAuliffe's eyes?
A: Blue. One "blue" this way and one "blue" that way....

The sad thing is that 95% of the forum has absolutely no idea why those are rock-solid gold....
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooo wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. Its true once you can beat nl200.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooo wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. Its true once you can beat nl200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still nowhere near 90%.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Bongo. The first 50% is understanding basic concepts. The next 40% is understanding common actions and learning to read players. The last 10% is emotional control and bankroll management. Sorry for the hijack though.

Good luck with the book Matt. I myself will be buying 5 copies in order to get it off the shelves of at least 1 local bookstore.