Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Should LuckyJimm earn a wage?

[ QUOTE ]
Instead I got an undemanding job that gave me quite a bit of spare cash, moved back to London and carried on as before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations on the new job!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Instead I got an undemanding job that gave me quite a bit of spare cash, moved back to London and carried on as before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations on the new job!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am honoured to be worthy of your fourth post in the last year.

Is it too much to hope I may feature in your fifth?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brandon Adam's "Broke: A Poker Novel"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know that book, should I read it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would usually not recommend it, as I didn't find it to be very well written, and the plot is just a mess. If you have serious plans to become a writer within this niche, it might be worthwhile anyway, however.

But there's better writing on degenerate gambling out there, and the best I've found so far is Mitchell Symons' "All In". The main character is so deep into it that I felt it painful to read about his degeneracy -- just like reading your blog.

I think you would find it interesting.

IIRC (it's been a few years since I read it), it is set in London, BTW, which may make it an even more attractive read for you. It's available in paperback (released in 2000), Amazon UK seems to have copies available for just a little more than £3. Save yourself a big blind next time you play, and order the book instead. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM

The seminal work in this area seems to be _The Gambler_ by Dostoyevsky, though I can't say I've read it--any month now.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to play luckjimm heads up which would give us both something to write about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably wouldn't last long
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this guy can earn a wage from pokernews for writing this sort of insightful hand analysis, then I think Jimm should be able to earn a wage.

The Most Valuable Piece of Advice You'll Ever Hear

My poker mentors over the last five years have given me some essential pearls of wisdom, but one of those little gems has remained under my hat for the duration of my brief poker career. However, seeing as you guys have been so well behaved, I am going to share with you the most valuable piece of advice that you'll ever hear...

... Don't put all your chips in when you're drawing dead.

And to prove how accurate that advice is, you only have to look at our latest hand involving, predominantly, Jani Sointula and RW Stain.

With the board reading {10-Hearts}{2-Hearts}{K-Hearts}{K-Clubs}, Stain bet 8k, start of the day chip leader Janne Lamsa called and Jani Sointula pushed all-in for 23k straight.

Surprisingly, Stain concluded that his {7-Spades}{7-Clubs} was worth a crack and decided to make the call, ahead, but only by a gnat's breath, of Jani's {A-Hearts}{7-Hearts}.

For some unknown reason, Jani stayed in his seat as if unaware he was drawing dead as the dealer created some unnecessary drama by taking his time on dealing the river. Amusingly, the last card out was an academic {6-Hearts} which gave Jani the flush he was previously looking for if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Board: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hand 0: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Stain) win 06.818% = Ahead but only slightly

Hand 1: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Jani) win 93.182% = For some reason still sat at table, unaware he was drawing dead.

Hope that clears it up a little.