Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Excuse me I hav a Problem with...

The big thing in bluffing is that you are telling a story. You want the other players to believe the story you are telling. But it has to work, to be credible.

You are in the big blind. Say the flop comes J75 with two clubs. You have a trash hand that hasn't connected, but you check and call a bet.

The turn is a king, you check and call another bet.

The river is another club. You bet out big. Your story is that you were chasing a flush draw and you hit it. Your story makes sense with the way you've played your hand.

When you bluff, sometimes the other players have bought your bluff, but hope to get lucky. Sometimes they just don't believe you. The second barrel can convince them.

But if you don't have a credible story to begin with, you're just chasing a bad bluff with more money.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 AM

ty for your answere

I will think about it and try to observe at the table by other players...
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 AM

dont worry too much about "telling a story" or w/e at those levels. they arent actively reading hands so they wont usually get the message you want them to. If you want to bluff, look for spots when you have narrowed their range down to hands that they will not be able to call a bet with, since most of them are simply playing their own cards and the board.

Probably the biggest mistake inexperienced (at least inexp. at relentless aggression) players make is that they want to bluff at every pot with nothing and then they make a big hand and slowplay it. Your bluffs will work a lot more often if you showdown monsters after being aggressive a few times.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Meh, I don't think telling a story is where its at in 10NL. Most of the players that could understand the story are multitabling. Bluffing is a small part of the game at this level which becomes more important at every subsequent level.

At 10 NL raise with good cards get called, value bet, value bet, profit.

Wait until the tables are tight with reasonable aggression levels to bluff. Even NL 25 and 50 tightens up considerably over 10.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM

I have the same problem. And like you, I could never stop myself. Until I started getting some tips and pointers and help from a friend (who had floated me $$$ after I - once again - went busto from this kind of play). This friend would watch me play so I essentially COULD NOT play my preferred wild style. Every time I even thought about it, my friend would catch me, scold me, and explain to me WHY I shouldn't bluff.

The point is: I won't claim to have miraculously become some sort of guru semi-pro. But my game improved. And my losses are fewer.

Once the table figures you out, you're the table ATM. Just don't do it.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM

I think what he means is, play against better players because they're more willing to lay down their hands to bets. weaker players at lower limit games will call you down to china town no matter what.

but honestly, i multi table on FT and don't find a need to bluff. Like mdvgaag said, I'll c-bet the flop when i feel its right, but usually firing 3rd shots will get you in trouble.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play against better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stop laughing at this.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:41 AM

Ok your posts helped me a lot once again. Thank you for that to all of you...

I wouldn't say that I am a handreading phenomenon, but I am right most of the time. And I like it to raise for folding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] every time when I smell a move or some weakness.

But the answere from FUTUREDOC85 "Probably the biggest mistake inexperienced (at least inexp. at relentless aggression) players make is that they want to bluff at every pot with nothing" I recognized that in my game some days before he wrote that!

Now I playing a little bit more what the players at the table let me do. I mean when the opponents or especially one or two opponents play weak tight I loose up against them and raise and reraise no matter what. I pick of some players on which my moves will better work.

At this time I dont make such big loses, but at all not big winnings too. I try to build up my bankroll more calmly. Maybe you joking about me, but I play only one table 10NL 6Max and I love it. Multitabeling is not what I like to play. You really learn more with one tableing and get the most of it when you "know" your opponents. I cant master that knowledge when I am multitableing.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play against better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stop laughing at this.

[/ QUOTE ]