Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: How do I avoid being devoured by a bot?

[ QUOTE ]
They talk like C-3PO and are poor dancers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you validate this?

Worthless without pics.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 AM

9 bots can be found on every full-ring table.

Just kidding.

But if people 12 table full-ring they might as well be bots.

/thread
Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I, personally, think it would be ridiculous to build a bot and have it play the 2NL tables all day. #1, you aren't going to make much even if you do run it all day.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's incorrect, for reasons I pointed out earlier in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
#2, the players are so poor that you probably couldn't even program it to adapt properly,

[/ QUOTE ]
When your opponents are bad, you have a wide choice of profitable styles. You don't have to adapt. However, if you want to, then it is much easier to adapt to bad players than to good players.

[ QUOTE ]
and #3 having a bot running 24/7 could probably raise some eyebrows with the host site.

[/ QUOTE ]
It should, and some sites test for bots, even at the microstakes level. Even though you don't think it makes sense, bot makers and poker sites think it does. Not all sites do a good job testing for bots.

[ QUOTE ]

Re: sites using them. What sites are said to do this? And is this an unsubstantiated rumour or has it been uncovered somehow?

[/ QUOTE ]
Please use the search function.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They talk like C-3PO and are poor dancers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you validate this?

Worthless without pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

YouTube: c3po

Hasn't anyone else seen this guy at Foxwoods?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be pretty silly to run a bot @ the lowest level micro stake games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it you've never played at UltimateBet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm thinking that eventually everyone will be forced to use webcams while they play.

Of course it wouldn't fix the problem by itself; it'd just be one of several methods for a site to figure out if you're really sitting there playing.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I, personally, think it would be ridiculous to build a bot and have it play the 2NL tables all day. #1, you aren't going to make much even if you do run it all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pzhon, I know you hate me, but answer this for me.

Are you saying that building a bot and running it at 2NL is going to net the same or more than a bot at 200NL, or even 50NL? What would prompt a bot owner to choose to run a machine at 2NL rather than a higher stake? In the name of efficiency and utility I don't see how anybody would choose to do this.

A bot playing an average of 80 hands per hour on 10 tables, for 24 hours a day is going to play 19200 hands in a day. Running at 12bb(big blinds)/100, it's making $0.24 per 100 hands. This works out to $46.08 per day.

A bot can move up to 50NL (still low stakes), playing at the same rate on 10 tables. Let's cut his playing time to 5 hours a day, this works out to 4000 hands in his playing day. For my point's sake let's cut his winrate down to 9bb/100. Over the course of 5 hours the bot willi rake in 180 dollars.

If the bot moves up to 200NL, plays 4 hours a day at the same hand/hr rate, wins 5bb/100- $320 for the day.

The risk vs. reward here makes it totally irrational for somebody to run a bot at super micro stakes. Poker sites won't care about somebody 10 tabling for 4 hours a day, probably not even 8 hours a day- but 24... I'm sure you understand where I'm going here.

But that's not my point here, my point is to ask you what is wrong with the statement above you quoted and said was incorrect. If i am missing a piece of the puzzle as to how lucrative a 2NL robot can be, please, by all means...

Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Why would you say I hate you? For that comment alone, however, I am very close to ignoring you. I don't have time to deal with aggressive nonsense. Please don't demand a response in that rude manner again.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that building a bot and running it at 2NL is going to net the same or more than a bot at 200NL, or even 50NL?

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite possibly, yes.

[ QUOTE ]
What would prompt a bot owner to choose to run a machine at 2NL rather than a higher stake? In the name of efficiency and utility I don't see how anybody would choose to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]
That you don't see is not an argument.

[ QUOTE ]

A bot playing an average of 80 hands per hour on 10 tables, for 24 hours a day is going to play 19200 hands in a day. Running at 12bb(big blinds)/100, it's making $0.24 per 100 hands. This works out to $46.08 per day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bots observed playing for real money have not been limited to playing 10 tables, and even 12 PTBB/100 ($0.48/100) is a low win rate for a game with a big blind of $0.02.

I don't know why so many people want to pretend that NL $2 is almost as tough as NL $400. There is a huge difference between NL $2 and NL $25, and a huge difference between NL $25 and NL $100, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
A bot can move up to 50NL (still low stakes), playing at the same rate on 10 tables... For my point's sake let's cut his winrate down to 9bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try assuming the bot loses 5 BB/100 at the higher level, and redo the calculations.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Why would you say I hate you? For that comment alone, however, I am very close to ignoring you. I don't have time to deal with aggressive nonsense. Please don't demand a response in that rude manner again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pzhon, I'm never demanding, always asking. You always have the option to not respond as well as the option to ignore.

What you are saying is that most bots aren't skilled enough to beat higher limits, and as such play micros. Is that correct?

If so, I see why you said I was incorrect from the start.

If not, I still don't. But I'm assuming that is what you are saying.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you've never played at UltimateBet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing.