Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

blarg,

post this in oot and you'll be disappointed to see that, sober or not, the majority side with the cops (one of the nice things about the lounge imo).
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM

If the guy had a knife or any other kind of weapon I could understand the cops, but 4 or 5 man should be able to restrain one person without killing him. Looks like they took the easy way out, at least in their mind.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was just lazy policing. Rather than take the time to subdue him, the police thought they could zap him and get out of there quickly. He was a big guy and the police didn't want a physical confrontation. I can't say I blame them. Death by taser is very rare. If the man didn't die, this would have been a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not an non-issue. Their improper procedure is completely unforgivable and their blatant use of uneccessary force should result in
severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it wasn't improper procedure. The Polish man did not follow the officer's instructions (he didn't place his hands on the counter) and exhibited assault like behaviour by throwing computer equipment around earlier. This is grounds for non-lethal use of force. It is up to the officer's discretion on what to use. I don't think the RCMP were out to get anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt watch the video but iirc the man didnt speak english so how was he supposed to follow the officers instructions?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Police officer 1: Should we taze him?
Police officer 2 (non-chalantly): yeah

[/ QUOTE ]

Polish dude: don't taze me bro!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was just lazy policing. Rather than take the time to subdue him, the police thought they could zap him and get out of there quickly. He was a big guy and the police didn't want a physical confrontation. I can't say I blame them. Death by taser is very rare. If the man didn't die, this would have been a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not an non-issue. Their improper procedure is completely unforgivable and their blatant use of uneccessary force should result in
severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it wasn't improper procedure. The Polish man did not follow the officer's instructions (he didn't place his hands on the counter) and exhibited assault like behaviour by throwing computer equipment around earlier. This is grounds for non-lethal use of force. It is up to the officer's discretion on what to use. I don't think the RCMP were out to get anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt watch the video but iirc the man didnt speak english so how was he supposed to follow the officers instructions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he couldn't, which just compounds the tragedy. But a police officer did clearly point to the counter trying to show him what to do. Also, watching the video again, the Polish man was fighting even after being tasered. There was no chance to administer first aid, as he died right after the struggle.

Now the idiots in the NDP party are calling for a ban on Tasers, despite the fact that hundreds of lives have been saved by the device. I would like to see how these armchair quarterbacks would have handled the situation. It's like the idiots who think cops should shoot the gun out of a criminal's hand.

The one practical thing that can be done to avoid this situation is to have an information person monitor the area between customs and baggage. Also, don't quit smoking cold turkey while travelling.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, watching the video again, the Polish man was fighting even after being tasered.

[/ QUOTE ]

But was he fighting before? I mean you walk up and hit someone with your weapon and now you kill him because he was fighting back?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy had a knife or any other kind of weapon I could understand the cops, but 4 or 5 man should be able to restrain one person without killing him. Looks like they took the easy way out, at least in their mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever one of these taser incidents occur someone posts something like this. Do people really want to return to the good old days when the cops would just bash people over the head with a wooden nightstick? The cops walked up to a guy who's throwing furniture around, doesn't speak English, and looks like he's either a psycho or on drugs. It's a very sad incident, but they weren't out of line using the taser on him.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM

The policing expert in the Times Colonist article is this guy. He gets paid to testify in court. He says this in the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Lyman was also concerned about the way one of the officers repeatedly struck what appeared to be a baton on the floor near the prostrate Dziekanski.

"Whether it hit him, I don't know. But I am concerned that he may have been struck with no justification."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a neat bit of doublespeak to smear the cops. It doesn't take an expert to know how collapsible batons work. The cop in the video slamming his baton on the floor is closing it. That's the only way to close one and anyone who's held one should know that.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM

obv there's only beating someone to death with a bat or using the tazer when it comes to restraining some dude .
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obv there's only beating someone to death with a bat or using the tazer when it comes to restraining some dude .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cute, but that isn't what I said. Feel free to explain to us in detail your plan on how the cops should detain combative suspects without anyone getting hurt. Make sure your plan can be employed effectively by the 5'4" female officers on the force as well.