Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

Lotta ego problems in cops unfortunately.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:22 PM

It was just lazy policing. Rather than take the time to subdue him, the police thought they could zap him and get out of there quickly. He was a big guy and the police didn't want a physical confrontation. I can't say I blame them. Death by taser is very rare. If the man didn't die, this would have been a non-issue.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was just lazy policing. Rather than take the time to subdue him, the police thought they could zap him and get out of there quickly. He was a big guy and the police didn't want a physical confrontation. I can't say I blame them. Death by taser is very rare. If the man didn't die, this would have been a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

false
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not an non-issue. Their improper procedure is completely unforgivable and their blatant use of uneccessary force should result in
severe punishment.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

false

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the compelling evidence, I'll say true. People are tasered everyday. Cops are tasered as part of their training.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not an non-issue. Their improper procedure is completely unforgivable and their blatant use of uneccessary force should result in
severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it wasn't improper procedure. The Polish man did not follow the officer's instructions (he didn't place his hands on the counter) and exhibited assault like behaviour by throwing computer equipment around earlier. This is grounds for non-lethal use of force. It is up to the officer's discretion on what to use. I don't think the RCMP were out to get anyone here.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM

People also die every day; that doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to avoid situations that might make it easier to happen.

And it also doesn't make kneeling on someone's neck a good idea, no matter how "efficient" one could claim it to be.

The uncomfortable thing is, people still matter. That's why we hire and actually bother to train cops, rather than just using cheap thugs to do the same jobs.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Police officer 1: Should we taze him?
Police officer 2 (non-chalantly): yeah
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

false

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the compelling evidence, I'll say true. People are tasered everyday. Cops are tasered as part of their training.

[/ QUOTE ]

have a look around at the news. taser incidents that do not result in death are being protested constantly.

it is not the job of the police to deal with a situation as quickly as possible. it is the job of the police to deal with a situation as best as possible: in a manner that is fair and safe.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it wasn't improper procedure. The Polish man did not follow the officer's instructions (he didn't place his hands on the counter) and exhibited assault like behaviour by throwing computer equipment around earlier. This is grounds for non-lethal use of force. It is up to the officer's discretion on what to use. I don't think the RCMP were out to get anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it was improper procedure. tasers are supposed to be almost the last resort, just before firearms. they are meant to be used in situations where firearms would be used if there were no tasers.

furthermore, as i alluded to earlier, the officers did not attend to the victim properly after they literally jolted the life out of him.

it's not about "being out to get anyone." nobody's saying they rolled in thinking, "let's kill this [censored]." what's at issue is the incompetence of the officers.