Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: optimize profit/loss here

[ QUOTE ]
How many streets are we calling off here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how much he bets. You'd be surprised how often people check the turn to us here.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM

thx sherman for anwsering my question - been off for lunch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM

As Sherman said, if you trust his small raise indicates a pretty strong hand, it's really hard for him to have a flush draw. You've got Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], the board has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I'm not sure if this means you should bluff a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn or not. With 3k stacks and 20 BB, against unknowns, I don't think you can get anything you're losing to to fold often enough, and I think it'd take the turn and river to do it if you tried.

Almost all the time I think this hand should go call flop, check behind turn, call/bet river.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many streets are we calling off here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends how much he bets. You'd be surprised how often people check the turn to us here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about this, and I'm not entirely sure.

I wouldn't call large flop/turn/river bets w/ just KQ. AK, KK+ are enough of his range.
I said I'm checking behind basically every turn if I can.
I'd probably fold to a large bet on an A turn or river.
Otherwise I'd fold the river to a 3rd strong bet.

Problem is this is really early, and it's hard to give people credit for anything.

If this 3xBB raise after a bunch of callers isn't a huge hand, this probably isn't the kind of player who bluffs 3 streets with large bets.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

also, are a lot of you regulars here "regularly" raising KQ in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have started raising in this spot more often as you usually get to play a raised pot in position against a donkey and you have a solid hand. Plus most guys give it up on a cont bet but if not I think its +EV for sure. Someone else can comment on this though
Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM

oh yea and call flop because I dont think theres any other way, I dont think you gain value much at all with a raise as others have stated, probably call turn unless its huge or something, prolly fold to big river bet.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, are a lot of you regulars here "regularly" raising KQ in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which spot? PF or on the flop? If are talking about PF, hell yes. I am raising here every time. I have position and I want to attack the limper.

On the flop, nope. For the reasons already mentioned.

Sherman
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM

ok i called flop (i shoulda raised pre is right but i ran in from bathroom if i remember correctly so i just saw kq and hit call) he checked the turn and i checked behind hoping to induce a bet from him on river or bet myself and get a call on river. he bet 200 on river and i called he showed 99. i do not like a raise on flop bc it gets worse hands to fold when they have few outs. im not scared of being drawn out on if odds are relatively low. plus 2nd kicker is not the nuts by any stretch. i thought this was an example of passive post flop play being the most profitable option. maybe im wrong
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM

don't love raising preflop...KQ never works for me...just against me! I like keeping the pot controlled here and not getting nuts but I tend to be nitty with these type hands
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i called flop (i shoulda raised pre is right but i ran in from bathroom if i remember correctly so i just saw kq and hit call) he checked the turn and i checked behind hoping to induce a bet from him on river or bet myself and get a call on river. he bet 200 on river and i called he showed 99. i do not like a raise on flop bc it gets worse hands to fold when they have few outs. im not scared of being drawn out on if odds are relatively low. plus 2nd kicker is not the nuts by any stretch. i thought this was an example of passive post flop play being the most profitable option. maybe im wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

WP Sir.