Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Default $22 - 80/160 A6s squeeze over 2 limpers

Hey, how's my line?
Both cold callers are loose/passive, around 26/5 or something and I am pretty confident they are calling 250 with many suited connectors, rag aces, 2 broadway and low PPs. I'm pretty sure they'll muck to shoves. I've had a lot of success with plays like this. With all the money in the pot, it's either 90 more for me to call or I can re-steal and get it HU against what is likely close to ATC.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t80/t160
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t250
UTG+1: t3305
MP1: t2880
CO: t2395
Button: t1055
SB: t2195
vers: t1420

Pre-flop: (7 players) vers is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in t250</font>, 2 folds, CO calls t250 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t490)</font>, Button folds, SB calls t170 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t740)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">vers raises all-in t1420</font>.
Uncalled bets: t1170 returned to vers.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: $22 - 80/160 A6s squeeze over 2 limpers

I really hate this. You're getting called here by one of the bigger stacks very often despite your line looking strong because people suck.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 AM

another problem with this play is your image - you have to showdown this hand, since UTG has all his chips in the middle.
they will call you lighter afterwards, even if it works, and that's something you really don't want.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 AM

I dont like it but who hasnt done it? lol
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another problem with this play is your image - you have to showdown this hand, since UTG has all his chips in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. I would consider doing this if there was a significant side pot (say, blinds were 120/240, UTG had something like t100 and there were two limpers), but in this situation I think you should just call and see what develops.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 AM

Given your reads, your play is pretty standard for me. It's a bit better if you have a slight higher stack (for fold equity), but unless you have terrorized them in last minutes and you think there is a good chance they will fold, choosing Axs as a squeezing hand is fine and will lead to good results in future.

It's profitable, as it is most likely that your hand is at least not an underdog to anyone here in this pot and you have fold equity (and ICM calculators will show you a light profit too here), and it's also profitable as it will make your future decisions easy. If you bust, they are very easy, if not you will have a nice stack that will give you a nice advantage when the bubble comes near and if all fold and you lose to the all-in guy, well you have the right stack to steal and you will be in late position the next hands. So go on and be satisfied with your play, it's probably the best.

A 3rd reason for it is that your hand given' the stacks is not easy to play. What to do on a 26Q-2suited-Flop? What on AT5-Flop?? Hard to say, If you are favorite (and often you'll might have the best hand on such flops), you should protect your hand, but if another will call or push you usually are beaten. What if you hit your Flush-Draw?? As you will be OutOfPosition, it's really hard and most people won't be able to hand it good, at least, I would not, and as pf it's profitable for you to move in, do it and avoid any kind of further possible mistakes.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Showing my hand after making a play like this is definitely bad. I have logged a lot of hours at the 22s and am pretty sure that the regular donks have notes on me already aboutsuper loose shoves, especially blind vs blind.

It's hard to say if preserving my image is worth giving up 740 chips when utg likely has ATC. It's thin for sure. I'm not that concerned with my image. They will see weak shoves in a few minutes anyways when I get called shoving 7 hi from the SB.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Just call, and see a flop
A nice pot to take down if we hit gold
Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM

I hate this. Looks like such a squeeze.... looks more legit if you are SB, but I don't know how to quantify the benefits of this image as SB vs the possibility of BB waking up with a hand. Also, since you have to show down anyway, I hate it. Also, I can't imagine a hand that CO can call with here that he will fold to a BB shove. Flat call here is often a monster, or a donk who then figures he's got money invested, might as well call and then dominates your weak ace with either a mid pair or AJ.