Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:50 AM

Default challenge: try to describe a society more evil...

than the one advocated in the old testament. You're supposed to kill your children and your wife, etc. if they suggest worshiping another god. You're supposed to investigate whether other towns are worshipping other gods. If they are, you have to kill everyone in the town. If a woman who is not engaged to be married is raped, then she has to marry the man who rapes her .

When you go to war, and win, you are supposed to kill all the male prisoners and use the women for sex

The more I learn about the Bible, the more shocked I am that people take any of this as the word of a loving creator. It seems more like the notes of a madman.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: challenge: try to describe a society more evil...

Stop making things up please.
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????????????
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you didn't notice that once you click the link, you have to click the forward arrows to get to the next part of the story?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
than the one advocated in the old testament. You're supposed to kill your children and your wife, etc. if they suggest worshiping another god. You're supposed to investigate whether other towns are worshipping other gods. If they are, you have to kill everyone in the town. If a woman who is not engaged to be married is raped, then she has to marry the man who rapes her .

When you go to war, and win, you are supposed to kill all the male prisoners and use the women for sex

The more I learn about the Bible, the more shocked I am that people take any of this as the word of a loving creator. It seems more like the notes of a madman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this Brick Testament is great. I looked up the link in my King James bible, about the girl who has to marry her rapist ( Deuteronomy 2-29 ) and sure enough, she has to marry her rapist because, “ he hath humbled her”. But Snowball, you should be informed - preachers don’t use Deuteronomy when preaching to their congregation.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 AM

Sorry just wanted to see how you would react if i wrote exactly that. Won't do it again.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, this Brick Testament is great. I looked up the link in my King James bible, about the girl who has to marry her rapist ( Deuteronomy 2-29 ) and sure enough, she has to marry her rapist because, “ he hath humbled her”. But Snowball, you should be informed - preachers don’t use Deuteronomy when preaching to their congregation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know. I've been to church. God though. How [censored] cool would it be to preach a guest sermon about this stuff. I am tooooootally down to do this if anyone can set me up with fake credentials at a church anywhere near LA. We need someone to film it though. It'd be like Borat yo.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM

The first sign that you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about should be that you give links to a site with lego people.

Ask yourself this question: If I wrote a book about a society that did horrible things by today's standards, does that make me evil?

A more precise analogy to what most Jews and Christians believe regarding the OT: If I designed a universe, and inspired someone to write a book about the historical or semi-historical actions of the Israelites (as well as the code of law that Moses dictated) does that make me an evil person?

I guess I better never write a history book, or people might think I'm too evil because it doesn't talk about lollipops and chocolate covered strawberries.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first sign that you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about should be that you give links to a site with lego people.

Ask yourself this question: If I wrote a book about a society that did horrible things by today's standards, does that make me evil?

A more precise analogy to what most Jews and Christians believe regarding the OT: If I designed a universe, and inspired someone to write a book about the historical or semi-historical actions of the Israelites (as well as the code of law that Moses dictated) does that make me an evil person?

I guess I better never write a history book, or people might think I'm too evil because it doesn't talk about lollipops and chocolate covered strawberries.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it would only make you evil if you claimed that those actions were inspired by God and represent Good. After all, morality is absolute and immutable, right?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM

The actions of the Israelites were inspired by God? I think I've discussed this before. I've read those passages, I didn't see anywhere where it says the war atrocities (by today's standards) were inspired by God.

What a good number of Christians/Jews DO believe is that the Bible was inspired by God. In other words, God inspired the stories to be written (perhaps he allowed the author to see "truth" in the events, so they were reported properly or whatever). I've never seen a passage in the Bible which says that God gave that code of law to the Israelites. In other words, God did not inspire those actions, it is a historical account of what Moses and the Israelites did in a time of war. Perhaps some of it was justifiable? I don't think the Israelites had, for instance, camps for prisoners of war.

I just don't understand how a book about actions Israel committed implies that God is a madman, even if God inspired the authorship of the book.