Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Another thread about drugs

I just saw a study that was published in The Lancet, one of the oldest peer-reviewed medical journal, about the harmfulness of drugs that are commonly misused. They used nine different measures in three major categories of harm: physical harm, dependence, and social harm. Two separate groups of experts were used to score the drugs. The first was a group of psychiatrists who specialize in addiction and the second was a broad group of chemists, pharmacologists, legal and police experts, and others who deal with addiction.

Here is their ranking of all the drugs based on their mean score of harmfulness. I wasn't particularly shocked to see that cannabis is lower than both alcohol and tobacco, but I was surprised that LSD and ecstasy were so low.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Another thread about drugs

So where can I get some Khat? Maybe a Somali market or something?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM

I think many of these can differ greatly on an individual basis. Alcohol is the one that jumps out at me. It can be life ruining for some, while for others it can improve the quality of life.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Supposedly LSD isn't bad for you if you use it responsibly. A lot of the problem comes from people seriously harming themselves while under the influence because of messed up perception/paranoia and all that, but if you have a trip sitter I've read it's basically harmless (if you don't mind flashbacks). Ecstacy on the other hand I'm surprised about, the general consensus seems to be that ecastacy can mess you up pretty good but now I'm curious and going to do some reasearch.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM

There has been a thread on this somewhere a while back. It might have been in OOT.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Here are the individual scores for each drug in each category.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Cannabis is on par with solvents???? I thought glue sniffing was the dregs.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the individual scores for each drug in each category.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest load of garbage I have ever seen, and lacks any remote resemblance of scientific integrity. There is an entire row just dedicated to intravenous complications that drops the average for non-intravenous drugs. Luckily, it has the decency to factor in all those times you shoot cocaine and ritalin (!?!?!?!). And how the hell is LSD on that list?

How the hell does ecstacy get one of the lowest ratings on "pleasure" and average on acute/chronic harm?

Oh well. When you see that THC is more harmful than huffing glue and doing ecstacy, you know this is crap.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest load of garbage I have ever seen, and lacks any remote resemblance of scientific integrity. There is an entire row just dedicated to intravenous complications that drops the average for non-intravenous drugs. Luckily, it has the decency to factor in all those times you shoot cocaine and ritalin (!?!?!?!). And how the hell is LSD on that list?

How the hell does ecstacy get one of the lowest ratings on "pleasure" and average on acute/chronic harm?

Oh well. When you see that THC is more harmful than huffing glue and doing ecstacy, you know this is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be misreading the table a little. The study was designed to look at the overall harm of the drugs relative to drug laws in the UK. It was simply trying to see if there was a good correlation between the ABC rating scale that is used and how "harmful" to society the drug actually is.

The pleasure rating has to do with how addictive that high is and that's why it's under dependence.

I don't think the study is saying that solvents are less harmful than weed in terms of health strictly. I mean, it says that they are much more harmful in the acute sense. Pot is more addictive, that is the only real way that it is worse.

And like I said, I was shocked about the ecstasy, but apparently it's not all that bad for you. I researched it a little bit and the one study that I recalled saying how bad E was for you was retracted.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And like I said, I was shocked about the ecstasy, but apparently it's not all that bad for you. I researched it a little bit and the one study that I recalled saying how bad E was for you was retracted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source?