Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Angel Largay Book

Anyone notice this book is out of stock at the book stores. I have had an order at Amazon for over 2 months. Any advice on where to purchase or when it will be available at Amazon. Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Angel Largay Book

I just think publishers/distributors underestimate the demand for good NL cash game material. Other than Largay's book (that I like) and the Harker & Fox book (that's better than nothing) there really isn't anything that isn't mostly either Limit or Tournament.

I just hope Mason lays in a good supply of Ed's new book, and the Harrington cash game one. Those babies will fly off the shelves.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone notice this book is out of stock at the book stores. I have had an order at Amazon for over 2 months. Any advice on where to purchase or when it will be available at Amazon. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in the exact same boat. Been waiting forever for Amazon to ship it.

Does anyone know if he has an official website?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Email the publisher at info@ecwpress.com. Alternatively, you can probably order it from their website at ecwpress.com. Largay is coming out with a second NLH book next year too.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Largay is coming out with a second NLH book next year too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made my day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM

I've heard so many different reviews on this book, I just don't know if I'm going to get it. People either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be much in between.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard so many different reviews on this book, I just don't know if I'm going to get it. People either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that.

No where in the book will you see Angel write "When you are delt AKo, do this..." I think some people are looking for that in a poker book, and when Angel doesn't do that, they feel ripped off. I think those are the people who hate the book.

There was one particular part of the book that I really felt I got something from. Angel was talking about play after the Flop, and in particular hand reading. He went through several situations and in each situation he explained how a good player would know if his hand was likely best and how to procede.

The thing was, in each example your hole cards and the Flop cards were exactly the same. The only things that changed in each hand were your position at the table, your position relative to your opponent, your assessment of the opponent (tight/loose, passive/aggresive), stack sizes and the betting before and after the Flop. Angel discussed how things ment different things as other things changed.

The main point that I took from reading this book is that when a good No Limit player talks about how to play a hand and he says "It depends..." he really [/i]isn't[/i] trying to be an A-Hole, or trying to impress you by sounding smarter than he is, or even trying to keep good No Limit poker playing a secret. No Limit poker is about people & your assesment of your opponent's style, and position, and pot odds, and stack size & implied odds, and only then is it about the cards.

And another thing - There's a hand chart, but it isn't a starting hand chart like you think of from HPFAP. This chart shows how NL starting hands change value relative to the number of players. For example, in a 10-handed game suited broadway is more likely to win at showdown than a mid-to-small pocket pair. However, in a 5-handed game a mid-size pair is much more likely to be good at showndown than most suited face cards.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Largay used to post at bet-the-pot.com, but I don't know if he still does. Maybe you can find him there. His book is very good I think, but it deals with B&M play, so not everything is relevant for online play. His treatment of player types is remarkable.

Cheers,

Smurf
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Largay used to post at bet-the-pot.com, but I don't know if he still does. Maybe you can find him there. His book is very good I think, but it deals with B&M play, so not everything is relevant for online play. His treatment of player types is remarkable.

Cheers,

Smurf

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, he doesn't come by BTP anymore. I haven't talked to him in quite awhile. He also has done some posting on 2+2, but not much. His archives on BTP are priceless, and one could try to PM him through Bet the Pot, I guess.

As for his book, it's one of my most prized, esp the autograph. :lol:
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Fine, I'll buy the damn thing! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]