Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Underdeveloped back and lower body

I've never *really* lifted for size. I mainly just lift to burn some calories and try to get a little muscle mass to help burn more calories around the clock. Obviously also for looks. But what's kinda happened to me is I've overdeveloped my muscles like biceps, triceps, chest, etc. I have decent pecs/arm circumference and I'm not obese or anything (6'0", 205). But I have a terrible looking back/lower back area. I also have fairly nondescript legs. I think I need to work these areas much harder as I would like my back/lower body to catch up to my front upper body.

This is what I'm working with at my apt's gym (it's actually very nice, not like most apt complex gyms), which is kinda small.

1) Dumbbells up to 75 lb
2) Incline bench
3) Standard array of cybex machines: curl, tricep, leg extension, leg press, shoulder press, chest press, lateral pulldown
4) Assisted pull up/dip machine
5) Unassisted dip/ab thingy
6) A bunch of treadmills, ellipticals, stair master, etc

There's no squat or bench press or anything in that realm.

My typical lifting workout consists of something like:

1) 50 lb dumbbell curls (one in each arm, one at a time) or 40 lb dumbbell curls (one in each arm, at the same time) -- I have trouble holding onto them for too long because of hand cramps, so I usually don't do more than about 8-10
2) 75 lb dumbbell press. These usually aren't too hard, I kinda wish the gym had bigger ones.
3) 12-14/20 on the lateral pulldown going behind my head.
4) 20 lb dumbbell shoulder raise thingys (like swing your arms out wide snow angel style, but don't go too far above shoulder level)
5) Shoulder press machine, around 8/(15?)
6) Unassisted dips, usually around 10 before my hands turn purple ... which is too bad because 10 isn't usually too hard

That's about it -- I do two to three sets of each exercise. I do sometimes mix in things like dumbbell flys on the bench or maybe a tricep extension while laying down on the bench, but not all of the time.

So, I know my workout sucks. I know my gym isn't great. I could join one as they aren't *too* far away and it isn't a money issue. The issue is that it's just so easy to get to my apt gym that I never skip going because I don't feel like dealing with getting there (I usually skip going for some other dumb reason like work or hanging out with friends). But I do make it there a fair amount -- 2-3x a week. I plan on bumping it up to 4-5x a week to try to make this happen AFAP while doing it the right way. So if I can, I'm going to keep going to this gym.

Here's what I think I should add:

1) Dumbbell rows w/ one knee on the bench
2) Push ups
3) Crunches
4) Lunges
5) Leg press machine
6) Ab raises on the unassisted dip/ab thing

Also, I'm considering getting one of those doorway pull up contraptions (not a bar, like a set of pipes that uses your body's weight to hold you up).

In closing, I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I'm a very driven person and I will work hard to fix this issue with my fitness -- I lost 50 lbs this year and I'm trying to fix what losing weight didn't address.

Any suggestions outside of joining a gym and getting a personal trainer?

(FWIW, I'm taking pictures along the way. Once I have some good changes I'll post em here in H&F)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Underdeveloped back and lower body

Deadlifts ftw
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM

I think there is perhaps a sticky associated with this question somewhere?

Seriously, if you actually care you will go to a gym with a power rack and do squats and deadlifts.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM

Congrats on the weight loss. In addition to the lunge variations you could do dumbbell clean and snatches, complexes of deadlifts, snatches/OH squats, cleans/front squats, weighted hypers. I've never done single leg deadlifts, but that's an option. I think bodybuilders like the leg press for quad development, I'm sure anyone is crazy about the leg extension/curl machines.

I suppose your goals are still a little vague. That is, you have a lower body imbalance in strength and mass. You might try to change that through a body building routine or through a fitness routine. Which one is more appealing to you? I'm not saying I could help you develop either, and I'm not sure if that is a helpful framework, just thought I'd try to get things rolling...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Put heavy things on the ground and life them waist hight, chest high, and over your head. Repeat.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM

i have the apartment gym problem too......

question: my dumbells only go up to 50lb, so to deadlift i just put 2 50s together and since it is pretty easy i do it like sets of 15x3 to make it challenging. is there anything wrong with this?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have the apartment gym problem too......

question: my dumbells only go up to 50lb, so to deadlift i just put 2 50s together and since it is pretty easy i do it like sets of 15x3 to make it challenging. is there anything wrong with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with it, but it is (at least occasionally) stressing essentially the entire body under a heavy load with the squat and deadlift that seems to be so useful-- it's a big thing to not have.

edit: you'll notice that this seems like one of the few things that bodybuilders and strength athletes appear to agree on.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlifts ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 AM

Hrmm, seems like I should be doing deadlifts. Am I hurting my progress significantly if I do dumbbell deadlines? I suppose the problem is that once I break through 75 lb in each hand then I'm going to be stuck in a rut. Might need to join a gym dammit...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on the weight loss. In addition to the lunge variations you could do dumbbell clean and snatches, complexes of deadlifts, snatches/OH squats, cleans/front squats, weighted hypers. I've never done single leg deadlifts, but that's an option. I think bodybuilders like the leg press for quad development, I'm sure anyone is crazy about the leg extension/curl machines.

I suppose your goals are still a little vague. That is, you have a lower body imbalance in strength and mass. You might try to change that through a body building routine or through a fitness routine. Which one is more appealing to you? I'm not saying I could help you develop either, and I'm not sure if that is a helpful framework, just thought I'd try to get things rolling...

[/ QUOTE ]
Good stuff up there in the 1st paragraph. I'll try to add that to my workout.

It actually isn't my lower body that bothers me the most. My quads are okay. My hamstrings are basically nonexistent. My back is what bothers me the most. Usually I can't see it (obv), but whenever I see it in pictures it tilts me.

I think I want to change it through a BB routine. While I could just lose more fat and appear more cut, etc, the problem is that I've built up mass in other spots and I want to try to even it out a bit.