Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Is Matt Flynn and company wrong here? WARNING 1-2NL PREFLOP

fken call. its right and if you say otherwise you are wrong.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 AM

Okay, what if after you min-reraise to $40, he min-reraise to $80? What would you do? Or if he flat calls the min-reraise to $40 and flop is A 5 9 rainbow, are you going to bet and how much? If you check and he bet $40, what are you going to do? If you cont bet and he calls, are you going to give up on turn?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 AM

OK, I'm going to hijack my own thread for a bit.

Matt, I just read the page intro about yourself. I am a 4th year medical student, going into orthopedics. Any advice for how to balance your career and poker. I know dermatology tends to have better flexibility than ortho, but I'm sure you've run into difficulties balancing the two. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 AM

umm i definitely think reraising is better if hes opening 15% of his hands to 10bb. isnt that just too huge of a preflop mistake to not exploit by rring?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm i definitely think reraising is better if hes opening 15% of his hands to 10bb. isnt that just too huge of a preflop mistake to not exploit by rring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a mistake? Why not wait for a better hand against his range to get involved with him OOP? I don't mind giving up 1BB when I know that whenever 10BB+ goes in, I'm a favorite. BTW, I know this is making me sound like a big nit, but those who have played with me know that I am far from that, and generally play a LAG style. But at the table described, I think it's much better to pick our spots more carefully.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 AM

because making 3-4bb in EV off this hand preflop is awesome?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it a mistake? Why not wait for a better hand against his range to get involved with him OOP? I don't mind giving up 1BB when I know that whenever 10BB+ goes in, I'm a favorite. BTW, I know this is making me sound like a big nit, but those who have played with me know that I am far from that, and generally play a LAG style. But at the table described, I think it's much better to pick our spots more carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE< its a cash game, u dont have to pick spots carefully - u can reload if u [censored] up. thats why in cash we always go for +EV no matter what
Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
a) the range given by Matt is TT+,ATs+,KJs+, which is not 15% but 4.1%. AQs is 46% against his range so getting involved by calling or raising OOP if he plays perfect (which he won't, of course, but let's assume) should be bad.

b) Against 15% PFR AQs is 58%; whether this 8% equity advantage outweights the position disadvantage can be debated, but if we raise and he calls optimally (again a big assumption) then perhaps we're exploitable, not him.

It sounds ridiculous to fold AQs to a MP opener but if his range is the 4.1% that Matt suggests it is and we don't feel we have an edge postflop it seems like the best option (and reraising is spew).
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DUDE< its a cash game, u dont have to pick spots carefully - u can reload if u [censored] up. thats why in cash we always go for +EV no matter what

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I asked my questions which nobody has answered yet, and apparently Matt did not include info on in the book, and which, at least to my mind, are critical in deciding the correct action here. In a live game, anyone who gives any answer to any question without knowing the buyin structure and stack sizes is probably missing about half the info needed.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm going to hijack my own thread for a bit.

Matt, I just read the page intro about yourself. I am a 4th year medical student, going into orthopedics. Any advice for how to balance your career and poker. I know dermatology tends to have better flexibility than ortho, but I'm sure you've run into difficulties balancing the two. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There seems to be a few of us medical students on the forums these days, I too am a medical student, also thinking of pursuing a career in orthopaedics. As far as i'm aware all the money is in dermatology and its mostly a handy 9-5 number, although do you want 2 b lookin at acne for the rest of your life!! sorry for complete lack of poker content to this reply!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]