Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Taking a Shot, How would you do it?

This is a strange spot, since I am an ubernit when it comes to bankroll management. Many of you may know my story, many of you may not. Anyways--- I am a 50nl player that has been grinding out the 50nl game since really October of last year. After neteller gave me my $ back my poker BR kind of got way too big for me not to consider taking a "shot".

Any given month--- playing 20 hours a week I would say my expected earning lie between 2-4k depending on how I run.

However, My bankroll is super bloated now, and I have beat much bigger games in the past, but am not as risk tolerant as I used to be.

I have decided to take a 5K shot--- Meaning a 5k stoploss on moving up--- I'm obviously skipping 100nl. So if you had 5k, how would you move up--- would you just jump to 200nl and grind it out there--- or since I am taking a shot, would you say put 5 bi in 400nl and see how it goes and then that way if I lose that I still have 10 bi left behind to try 200nl. Im confident these games are much tougher then when I beat them, but im also pretty confident I can still beat them.

Note: remember this is a "shot"--- 5k is ~20% of my current Bankroll.

Any thoughts/ advice are appreciated and welcome.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Taking a Shot, How would you do it?

If you've beaten bigger games in the past, then I'd probably start at 200NL until you get a feel for how much the games have changed since you last played them.

I'd rather start at 200NL and move up once you've established that you still have an edge on the players than the other way around.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Since I have a vague memory of you tilting easily, I wonder if you can keep your cool playing 400, hitting a bad streak and then have to play 200NL slightly 'underrolled' ?

If you can, by all means hit it ... else I'd say just play 200NL for a week or so before you push the envelope further.

That being said, it's about time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GL dex !
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM

if you're confident you can play at 200, hop to it
Old 08-27-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I have a vague memory of you tilting easily, I wonder if you can keep your cool playing 400, hitting a bad streak and then have to play 200NL slightly 'underrolled' ?

If you can, by all means hit it ... else I'd say just play 200NL for a week or so before you push the envelope further.

That being said, it's about time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GL dex !

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been prone to tilt in the past, yes, but hopefully since I'll be playing for a lot more $ i'll spend more time and effort evaluating my emotional state and each individual decision.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM

with those options, i would start at 200nl, if I am running good and playing well as my tables dry up during a session I will up the stakes.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my base level of understanding and thought processes are much too complicated for 50nl and maybe even 100nl---- when I started playing cash 4 years ago 200nl was the lowest I ever played until the crash and rebuilding of my poker career---- but the games back then were softer at 200nl then they are at 50nl now---- so I'm not sure what to expect in the shark infested waters of 200nl and above, but I think i'm ready and I think its been time for a long time.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM

also, let it be noted, I won't take this shot until say, mid september--- mostly b/c I am going to California on vacation with my g/f and I just bought a new plasma, so I want to enjoy it---- Im gonna polish up at 50nl and 100nl the next two weeks and then Ill update you all on my shot, what I decided to do, and how its going--- if nothing else I think the move up will help improve my poker game further
Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, let it be noted, I won't take this shot until say, mid september--- mostly b/c I am going to California on vacation with my g/f and I just bought a new plasma, so I want to enjoy it---- Im gonna polish up at 50nl and 100nl the next two weeks and then Ill update you all on my shot, what I decided to do, and how its going--- if nothing else I think the move up will help improve my poker game further

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, after moving up, the previous levels seem alot easier usually. Moving up does wonders for your game
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]