Goodnight nurse! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Par in sight for dollar
Analysts raise forecasts for currency
BMO's Coxe sees it topping greenback
May 2, 2006. 11:30 AM
STEVEN THEOBALD
BUSINESS REPORTER

Donald Coxe moved to what some thought the lunatic fringe of forecasters in 2003 when he predicted publicly that the Canadian dollar would reach par with the greenback within five years.

"Not all the disdain was polite," said Coxe, Chicago-based global portfolio strategist for BMO Financial Group.

But he's getting the last laugh.

The hard-charging Canadian dollar is prompting an increasing number of mainstream thinkers to predict parity with the United States.

The dollar has been on a tear for a month, gaining nearly five cents and hitting 26-year highs.

Yesterday, it flirted with the 90-cent mark, coming within 0.02 of a cent in the early afternoon. It ended the day at 89.83 cents (U.S.), up 0.38 of a cent. In early trading Tuesday it reched 90.28 centgs (U.S.)

Coxe, who bases his forecasts on five-year outlooks, remains one step ahead of the pack.

"I changed my forecast three months ago to now say it will trade well through par."

The main story is that investors will continue to punish the U.S. dollar for the huge inflows of foreign capital the economy needs to fund ballooning trade and government budget deficits, Coxe said.

The Chinese and Japanese central banks alone have purchased $1.3 trillion (U.S.) in government Treasury bonds and mortgage-backed securities in the past four years, he added.

"There is no obvious reason why people would want to hold U.S. dollars," Coxe said.

"It also helps that Canada has a fundamentally good story of its own."

National Bank Financial saw the writing on the wall and upgraded its exchange rate forecast yesterday.

Last December it had predicted an average of 86 cents this year, and perhaps parity five years out. It now expects the loonie will reach parity with the U.S. dollar by the fall of 2007.

As Coxe argues, external factors will be the key drivers, said National Bank chief economist Clément Gignac.

"Our long-standing, secular optimism about the Canadian dollar is well known," wrote Gignac in an email to clients.

"Even if profit-taking on the currency could be seen after the nice run-up in April, we believe that the stars will align for a Canadian dollar at par with the U.S. dollar well before our initial target of 2010."

Though global imbalances will cause the greenback to weaken further — foreign investors are sending $2.5 billion (U.S.) a day to the United States — Canada offers a safe haven.

Exporters, which have been raising their productivity through both heavy investments in new machinery and equipment and by trimming payrolls, may be losing sleep at the thought of a dollar at par.

But firms are coping quite well, Gignac said, citing a recent KPMG survey that claims, even with an 85-cent loonie, domestic businesses have the lowest operating costs among the G-7 industrial countries and that the exchange rate would need to hit 98 cents for costs to be as expensive as those in the United States.

Also, pre-tax corporate profits as a share of GDP hit 14.6 per cent in the final three months of 2005, an all-time high.

National Bank expects Canada's trade surplus will remain between 4 and 5 per cent of GDP, helped along by improving relations with the United States.

The biggest risk to the loonie reaching parity is a possible sharp drop in commodity prices or a recession in the United States, started possibly by a severe correction in real estate prices, Gignac said.

Canada's booming real estate market ought to benefit as the surging loonie puts downward pressure on inflation and interest rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toronto Star Link
Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Canadian dollar expected to hit parity with US dollar by fall of 2

Good. Now maybe some American movies and television will actually be made in America.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM

Holy shiat Batman. When did the Canadian dollar become worth something? a couple years ago I was getting $1.55 CAN for every $1 US. Now its like $1.1 for $1. Seems like the US dollar is dropping more than anything else. The Euro is also gaining on the US dollar. Maybe a good investment would be to just take anything you have saved in a US Bank account and to just invest in some other foreign currency. This is kinda a downer that the US dollar is sucking sooo much.

Brendan
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 PM

What will Americans do for Canadian jokes now?!?!

It sucks hard taking a pay cut every week because of Bush. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 PM

This sucks for canadian poker players. 2 weeks ago I took out $500USD and got $580CDN, today I took out $500USD and got $560CDN. Is there an upside to this? Does this make anything cheaper for me?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM

it makes virtually everything you buy cheaper, as long as you buy it in canada. not cheap enough though. i was thinking of moving to buenos aires to take advantage of their crappy economy but maybe i should move to austin or san francisco instead, probably cheaper by next summer.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Aussie Dollar is going up against the US too. I guess if it goes up too much more I will move up limit's.

Granite
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Canadian dollar expected to hit parity with US dollar by fall of 2007

Damned currency of yours cost me like $2000 in april.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Canadian dollar expected to hit parity with US dollar by fall of 2007

not good news for Canadian poker players at all
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM

I dont' think it's so much the dollar "sucking" as other countries catchign up.

The US has had a very industrialized, powerful economy for along time, thus the dollar reigned supreme.

The dollar isn't necessarily "falling" per say, however as other countries economies improve greatly the dollar is lower relative to theirs.

How much your currency is worth compared to another currency really isn't the bottom line though, the bottom line is what/how much goods and services you can buy with X units of your currency.