Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know how I forgot to post this here...

Thierry Rameau Sokoudjou is fighting Lyoto Machida at UFC 79.

Great Success!

[/ QUOTE ]

This fight makes no sense from the UFC's perspective, IMO. These are two top fighters, but Machida's fights have been relegated to the undercard, and nobody will know who Sokou is. If Sokou wins, nobody will think too much of it (and it will probably be ugly). If he loses, he's screwed. Same for Machida.

They should have given Sokou a guy he could easily KO, and put Machida against someone like Griffin, so that if he won he'd have more cred.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting sick of the UFC's method of building up fighters for the American audience by feeding them crap fighters. Im not sure its serving the UFC interests anymore anyway. The sport has grown, people read the internet. These guys fight two or three times a year. People want the best match ups possible. Having rampage fight eastman or crocop fight sanchez is a waste and I think it just pisses off the fans that care.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM

I really don't mind throwing Sokou at Machida. The argument that it could end up being a no-win situation is definitely valid, but there's a couple things that I disagree with.

First off, we have no clue if Sokou is even for real. Just like Alexander, the only thing we know is that this guy is built like a truck, has a judo pedigree, and hits like there's bricks in his gloves. While this is all true, he still lost to Glover Teixeira a year ago. I'm assuming the UFC ponied up a bit of cash (Sokou turned down a deal he thought was insulting shortly after the Pride acquisition), so you're risking him having a poor showing or losing to a fighter like...Mike Nickels or somebody like him.

Second, one of the few things the UFC has continued to do well is build up fights. From UFC 78 'til Dec. 29th, you're going to see Sokoudjou knock out Arona and 'Lil Nog 50 times a day. You're gonna hear Dana White and Joe Rogan talk about the impressive undefeated streak of Lyoto Machida. They're gonna push this fight being on the biggest card of the year.

The thing I worry about most is this being a "boring" fight, which is always a concern given Machida's style. If this fight ends up with 15 minutes of Lyoto avoiding Sokou's takedowns/throws and stick and moving, I feel the no-win aspect of it comes into play.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 AM

MMA isn't about having a spectacular KO, its about winning.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

got to be entertaining to make the big bucks and secure a contract though
Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which is [censored] [censored], you shouldn't feel pushed to end the fight just because dana [censored] white will let you loose otherwise, I thought it was about winning, if you show some technique and school your opponents like Machida has its only boring to the drunk screaming [censored] who dont know an armbar from a TKO.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know how I forgot to post this here...

Thierry Rameau Sokoudjou is fighting Lyoto Machida at UFC 79.

Great Success!

[/ QUOTE ]

Machida wins this one, he's way underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's also extremely boring, which presents serious problems if he gets a title shot
Old 11-16-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which is [censored] [censored], you shouldn't feel pushed to end the fight just because dana [censored] white will let you loose otherwise, I thought it was about winning, if you show some technique and school your opponents like Machida has its only boring to the drunk screaming [censored] who dont know an armbar from a TKO.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not [censored] though. Exciting fights draw crowds and bring in big buy rates, which therefore means more money for everyone else. Why do you think that Matt Lindland hasn't been brought back. Why do you also think that UFC has had to go into overdrive for Promotion of a PPV after a weak Main Event.

Yes, UFC is a sport, but it also needs to be promoted in a pro wrestling style as it does bear enough resemblence to it to merit that type of promotion. Exciting fights keep on bringing viewers back and get people talking about the promotion, so all of the fighters should do whatever they can to finish a fight, and if they can't finish it, then make sure it's a damn exciting 15 minutes
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not [censored] though. Exciting fights draw crowds and bring in big buy rates, which therefore means more money for everyone else. Why do you think that Matt Lindland hasn't been brought back. Why do you also think that UFC has had to go into overdrive for Promotion of a PPV after a weak Main Event.

Yes, UFC is a sport, but it also needs to be promoted in a pro wrestling style as it does bear enough resemblence to it to merit that type of promotion. Exciting fights keep on bringing viewers back and get people talking about the promotion, so all of the fighters should do whatever they can to finish a fight, and if they can't finish it, then make sure it's a damn exciting 15 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Lindland has a style very similar to Randy Couture and Dan Henderson. Some interesting stats:

Method of victory percentage:

Matt Lindland: 6 (T)KO(30%), 8 Sub(40%), 5 Dec (25%), 1 other (5%)

Dan Henderson: 10 (T)KO(45.5%), 1 Sub(4.5%), 10 Dec (50%)

Randy Couture: 7 (T)KO(43.75%), 2 Sub(12.50%), 7 Dec (43.75%)

Even just by his UFC fights, this is what Lindland's record looks like:

W Yoji Anjo TKO
W Ricardo Almeida DQ
W Phil Baroni Decision
W Pat Militech TKO
L Murilo Bustamnate Submission
W Ivan Salaverry Decision
W Phil Baroni Decision
L Falaniko Vitale TKO
W Falaniko Vitale Submission
L David Terrell KO
W Travis Lutter Submission
W Joe Doerkson Decision

2 KO, 2 Sub, 4 Dec + 3 losses by sub/KO

I also disagree with the idea that "exciting fights draw in crowds." This is true if you aren't promoting the fighters, and instead are promoting the brand. I do think the UFC has a tendency to go a little brand crazy at times, but like I said earlier, I think they do a pretty good job of pimping fights and fighters too. Ultimately, though, fans want to see big fights. You can definitely fast-track your way to the top with a few highlight reel KOs (Houston Alexander and Sokoudjou), but if you run the table in a division (Lyoto Machida) and end up beating a couple big names, people are gonna want to see what you can do against the other big names.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Just so you guys know, there's a pretty good Strikeforce card tonight. It's streaming for free on Yahoo at 11 PM ET.
Closed Thread