Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
cpitt,

The only thing you can say about Kimbo is that he probably hits hard. We still have no clue how his standup will translate in a "real" MMA fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, your right. I think what i was trying to say came off wrong.

If you put him and any UFC fighter in a ring and made them box only, I would take Kimbo.

But your right, if you are worrying about takedowns and kicks, it changes things. I still predict that his standup will work out for him in MMA. Yes he hits hard, but I think it is deeper than that. His overall boxing is very good.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His boxing is far superior to MMA/UFC levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a Kimbo hater, but c'mon. It's really way too early to make a statement like that.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:41 PM

This is pretty much the entire Kimbo fight:

Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Back to some TUF discussion.

Wow, how wrong was I about Serra's coaching? Definitely seemed like he at least got his guys to stick w/ the plan and stay motivated better than Hughes did.

I was pretty impressed by the farmer guy being able to keep fighting through the choke attempts at the start. Especially impressive was when he got out, it seemed like he had tons of energy left, no real recovery time needed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes got really unlucky that J-Roc had to fight George. George, J-Roc, and Mac are the clear top guys in this group. Everyone else has potential, but are extremely inexperienced. I often forget that at this point, these guys have only been on the show for 3 or 4 weeks or something. It's gonna be really hard to get people to be on the same page and listen to you from the corner, when they may only have 2 or 3 fights under the belt.

I've only watched all of season 1, so I can't compare this to many of the other seasons, but the show has been pretty "meh" so far. There hasn't been much house drama (apparently Dana actually came by the house one day and said these guys were the most depressing group TUF's ever had), which is fine by me because I don't really care to see a bunch of meatheads get hammered and breaking [censored]. I mean, some of the most drama-filled scenes include Barrera's crazy girlfriend and George not waking up his teammates.

The fights haven't been that great either. We've seen a couple exciting brawls, but it's very clear that none outside of the big 3 are really worthy of being in the UFC right now. Again, tons of talent and potential, but a lot of guys need polishing.

The ratings for the show have continued to slide since season one until it's hit a baseline that I don't think will get any worse. If they want to make the show interesting for the next couple seasons, they should scrap the traditional reality show formula of getting a few guys that they are interested in and filling out the rest of the cast with personalities. Just go out and get some good fighters and let them fight. Maybe even scrap the house concept and just have guys stay in Vegas, get their back stories, show them training, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did Hughes get unlucky? He chose the fight.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His boxing is far superior to MMA/UFC levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a Kimbo hater, but c'mon. It's really way too early to make a statement like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are some of the better strikers in MMA? Up until recently Chuck Liddel did very well striking. Granted a lot of this had to do with his great takedown defense, but he was widely regarded as a dangerous striker.

His boxing wasn't sharp though. He threw very wide punches (albeit hard) but that wouldn't wouldn't get the job done versus boxers. Maybe the fact that you cant block punches as easy in MMA makes it less important, I don't know. Maybe haymakers have merit without big gloves to worry about absorbing the impact. No one really dodges punches or blocks too effectively either (Anderson Silvia seemed to block very well against Franklin, but he seems to be an exception).

I just feel Kimbo can throw as hard of punches in a much more crisp, shorter, and quicker fashion. I also think he movement is better than other strikers when standing. I guess I just think he will be a more effective striker than all of his competition. Whether this will be enough or if it transitions to MMA well is yet to be seen granted.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Got my tickets for UFC 80 today be interesting (as well as expensive) watching live compared to the tv, just hope they give us a decent bill.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did Hughes get unlucky? He chose the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot Hughes picked that fight. Did they show their reasoning for it? I really don't understand why they would put their #2 guy against Serra's clear #1.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 PM

I dont want to make a new thread just for this, so I will slightly hijack this one..

Do any of you guys go to mma fights in your area? I am helping a local mma website in my area and am kind of interested in the amount of mma fans that go to fights in their area.

Also, if you do go, or think you might go in the future, would you care about following the fighters you saw? Trying to figure out what type of information people into a local scene would be looking for. This site has local fighter, school, and event listing in addition to a forum and local news section..
Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 AM

danvh,
as i posted above:

hijack- saw houston alexander in the underground fight nights in omaha. he didnt fight but was there signing autographs and taking pictures. cool guy, he looks like a badass.

/hijack

I've only been once but it was definitely enjoyable. there was a large crowd of people there and the participants came from all over the midwest. i think there was some good interest in the local fight area and iirc, there were even a few local teams. (one huge black guy said he trained with quentin jackson and was wearing some of his apparel).
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 PM

I've only been to local MMA events when I was training with brazilian top team, because then I was cheering on my fighters. That's about it though...and that's different, because I was very invested in the fighters. I probably wouldn't be as interested with a card full of unknown fighters... But I dunno. I never really hear about local events...some good marketing would definitely help to pique my interest.
Closed Thread