Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 04-24-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Claim in MH

I read a blurb in MH that said if you sandwich your work out right in between 2 protein shakes you would increase muscle mass produced by 100% compared to having the shakes 4 or 5 hours before/after your workout. That seems unbelievable. Comments?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Claim in MH

Don't read MH.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM

a ton has been written on pre/post workout nutrition and a lot of people think that this is these are the most important meals of the day...
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM

While I'm not going to focus on the 100% claim or whatever because it isn't important, optimal nutrition pre, during, and after workout will yield almost steroid-like effects to someone who hasn't been doing it.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'm not going to focus on the 100% claim or whatever because it isn't important, optimal nutrition pre, during, and after workout will yield almost steroid-like effects to someone who hasn't been doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have any suggestions as to what optimal nutrition pre, during, and after? I don't think I've been getting it even close to right.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Carbohydrates are needed in conjunction with protein/amino acids. This will give you the most anabolic effect.

My favorite drink is Vendetta. Clicking this link takes you to the product and gives you a scientific background on pre/post workout nutrition. If your into being your own scientist like I am, I prefer Waxy Maize Starch (Vitargo), Creatine, BCAA's, and Whey Hydro. If you have the money, you can't really go wrong just buying Vendetta (or similar product), and downing some before, during, and after training.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=670
Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have any suggestions as to what optimal nutrition pre, during, and after? I don't think I've been getting it even close to right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carbs: Protein in a 2:1 ratio with some BCAA. You want a 50/50 split for malto/dex for carbs and something fast acting like as much hydrolyzed whey as you can take with isolate for the rest.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM

I have a question about this topic...I'm following a 2:1 ratio with my pwo but the split for my carbs is basically 100% dextrose, all from cranberry juice...How good/bad is this?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Maniacut, I'm pretty sure you meant fructose here rather than dextrose. The problem with taking in your PWO carbs as fructose is that it digests slowly and does not produce that rush of glucose and insulin we desire. It's really suboptimal. Probably not as bad as not taking in any carbs, but you'd be much better off taking it with water and oats, or Sweet Tarts, or dextrose.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm not even sure, I just wikipedia glanced dextrose and maltodextrin. Dextrin comes from the hydrolysis of starch which I think the cranberry juice has none of so I figured it must have dextrose. Now you're saying it's probably fructose, so I wikipedia glanced that and it definitely looks like that is probably what the cranberry juice mostly is. So I guess the optimal solution here is to get some dextrose and(?) dextrin in powdered form for my pwo? any other thoughts?