Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Default How good is the low straight on the turn? 25nl

Villain is a lagfish running at 66/34/2.5 and a 2 turn AF. What do we do with this flopped low straight with that scary turn card? In a previous hand villain had stacked off with 88 on a QQJ board after calling a 3 bet preflop.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $39.10
HERO: $55.65
Button: $24.45
SB: $11.35
BB: $89.60

Pre-flop: (5 players) HERO is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $0.75</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2.25, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets $1.5</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.75, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $3</font>, HERO ??
Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: How good is the low straight on the turn? 25nl

This is the danger of medium connectors. On the flop I full pot it. On the turn, I give up because the SB is also behind us. This is a really tough spot, but I think folding is right.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Yeah, we're not last to act, so I like a turn fold.

Also, why are you raising to 3x preflop? He's gonna call with most of his hands so you wanna charge him more to play (in general). 4x or even 5x is fine here and I may get flamed for breaking away from the 4x, but 5x is fine against people that call too much OOP.

On flop you gotta bet more, like 2 at least. Look at the board, that's gonna hit one of your opponents well, and there are a bunch of draws that they can have that they will call with, not to mention the two pair hands that they'll raise with.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM

First off, pot the flop. You've got the 2nd nuts in a multiway pot where one of your opponents is a maniac. Get as much money in there as possible.

That turn card is scary, but given BB's stats (how many hands?) there's no way I'm folding to his bet. Calling definitely isn't an option because there's still a good chance you have the best hand here, and you don't want to entice SB to call by laying him 4:1 pot odds. I raise to $10 on the turn. That gets SB's dead money in if he wants to come along for the river, and makes the rest of your decisions much easier. If he comes back over the top, you're probably behind. If he calls, pray for a low, non-diamond on the river. I'd be suspicious if he bet into me on a blank river. Probably wouldn't call more than a 1/2-pot bet if that happened.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Raise/folding with one person left to act that can definitely have a Q is pretty gross. Very spewy, especially when if we're behind we're drawing dead to a chop.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Definite fold.. at least one of your opponents has a Q at least 95% of the time. Don't forget you're against 2 opponents who just flat called your bet. You're done with this hand.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise/folding with one person left to act that can definitely have a Q is pretty gross. Very spewy, especially when if we're behind we're drawing dead to a chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't give the stakes proper consideration. I play 5NL on Stars, where 90% of Villains would open shove the turn if they were in SB's position and hit. What range do you give BB?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't give the stakes proper consideration. I play 5NL on Stars, where 90% of Villains would open shove the turn if they were in SB's position and hit. What range do you give BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough to say since he's playing so many hands.. but like any two pair combo or anything with a queen. If it were HU, I'd call one street probably, but being 3-way I don't think we can call.