Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: BRAG: Lost 30 pounds in 5 weeks

[ QUOTE ]
How can you be 6 foot weighing 230 pounds and no one around you notices that you are obese?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have more muscle than you?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can you be 6 foot weighing 230 pounds and no one around you notices that you are obese?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have more muscle than you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if 30 pounds of those 230 are muscle you are still overweight for your height.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 PM

good work. i lost 14 lbs in two months and basically i just drank fresca instead of koolaid and got high instead of getting drunk. also, i ate out twice a day. being skinny = easy.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6 foot 230 isn't that bad
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? That's like a BMI of 31... (You are technically obese if you have a BMI of 30+)
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like the Atkins diet. I did an extreme version of this in high school and my stomach is still messed up from it 6 years later. That's the thing that I def know it caused, but for all I know my kidney and liver are totally [censored] up from overworking them that hard.

I really really don't suggest using this as a way of losing weight. You're basically just forcing your body to work really hard to get [censored] from your mouth to your ass and starving it at the same time. Go for a [censored] run every day if you wanna lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know exactly what atkins diet consists of (never really cared to look in to it), can you expand on what they tell you to eat? Are there any supplements? Whats the meal plan like? Thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't do atkins exactly. It's just the same really really unhealthy basic plan of lots of protien to fill yourself up and keep muscle mass but no carbs.

I weighed like 120 lbs at the start of wrestling and here's what I ate every day:

Breakfast: 2 pieces of bacon, 3 eggs, a grapefruit and a bunch of celery sticks.
Lunch: A steak. A grapefruit and a bunch of celery sticks. Sometimes some broccoli as well.
Dinner: A steak. A grapefruit and a bunch of celery sticks and something extra that I'd choose with no carbs in it.. usually i just put the steak in some nasty broth and ate that cause I got weird cravings while on the diet.

I'd bring maybe another quarter pound of steak with me to school and eat it between classes.

The weekend after wrestling ended, I gained 15 lbs eating instant oatmeal til I was sick repeatedly. I still get random cravings for things with lots of carbs like bread with honey spread on it.

Again, the reason that this is incredibly unhealthy for you is because it [censored] up your liver and kidneys. You're feeding your body a ton of [censored] that it doesn't want and your kidneys and liver are working really hard to filter all that [censored] out. I know that what you're doing isn't as extreme as what I did, but it's still a really bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact the human body is evolutionarily designed to eat a high protein/fat diet. (esp if you're of northern European descent). Studies have shown that a high protein diet does not harm the kidneys unless you have a pre-existing condition. If anything messed you up it was eating 15lbs*3000kcal = 45,000 calories (or 346 packets) of instant oatmeal in one weekend.

I would not recommend the Atkins diet itself (esp with all their gimmick products), but if you food-select wisely it can be healthier than those stupid low/no fat diets.

In the end though, it's all about calories in vs calories out, despite what anyone will tell you. No/low carb just makes it easier to control appetite.

Oh...and keep up the good work OP.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM

This is the atkins diet. I did it. The week after I stopped I put 5kg back on
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? That's like a BMI of 31... (You are technically obese if you have a BMI of 30+)

[/ QUOTE ]

The fatal flaw of BMI is that it assumes everyone has the muscle mass of a preteen girl.

Bodyfat% is a better indicator of obesity.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the atkins diet. I did it. The week after I stopped I put 5kg back on

[/ QUOTE ]

Water weight FTW!!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM

I have never been a fan of BMI measures simply because it doesn't factor in a lot of very important variables. BMI is simply saying if you are 6 feet you should weigh x. If you weigh over y you are obese.

Athletes have more than the average amount of muscle mass and therefore BMI calculates them as "at risk" even though they are in top physical shape.

http://suewidemark.netfirms.com/bmi.htm - More Info

I'm not saying I wasn't overweight (In fact I am saying the opposite and I still have more to go). But there is def a big diff between obesity and over weight. FWIW I would not be scared/embarrased to tell people on an internet forum I was obese, seriously.