Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Putting in my notice - SCARY!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Scary?....Im absolutely petrified. So is my wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is completely normal. What is the biggest downside of this decision? If you can live with that, then you are golden. Fear is what keeps people in the same place for their whole lives, never realizing their true potential. Embrace it.

[ QUOTE ]

MMB this is a cry for help!! Please... anyone thats made the leap please give me some insight that may make this decision more clear today.

Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that your boss can offer you special incentives is that he can afford to and still make money off your labor. The fact is that for every $10 you generate in revenue, your boss gets to put $4 or so in his pocket. You go into business for yourself in order to keep the whole $10, plus you get to charge other people 40% for the privilege of working for you. Thats a good deal and its a smart move. Its a hard decision. But you know what you are doing, you have years of experience, and you are already on the road to success in a growth industry. Don't let the fear stop you from getting where you want to go!

Who dares wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kick in the butt. Im pretty clear now on what I want to do. Now the tricky part is how to explain what I want to do with my bosses so that I dont get fired in this next 30 days and lose a powerful job reference. This is my only real fear now.

I think I just need to accept the fact that Im not going to be 100% ready to make this leap in 30 days....and Im sure Ill have some more mini-breakdowns before April is over. I just need to keep focused and not let emotion take the better of me.

Thanks for all the advice and Id love to see some more responses here as I update the thread.

Richard
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Livingitup0

Say goodbye to the rat race.

Welcome to financial freedom.

I'm glad you've made the transition.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM

Hmmmm, if only you were in Canada....

I need skip tracers for my real estate business. Locating owners of vacant properties etc etc.

How much should it cost to simply find an owner of a vacant property if they are not found in tax rolls / white pages?

I don't want to use the big private investigator firms because they'll just whoop me a big bill.

I know there are small time private investigators but not sure how to find them.

A lot different here in Quebec Canada than United States, in terms of public information.

Interesting though.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, if only you were in Canada....

I need skip tracers for my real estate business. Locating owners of vacant properties etc etc.

A lot different here in Quebec Canada than United States, in terms of public information.

Interesting though.

[/ QUOTE ]

more restrictions on public information or less?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM

More restriction.

For example, bankruptcies, divorces, notice of mortgage default are all public info in United States. Or more so in some states than others.

In Quebec, Canada, it's extremely difficult to get a list of the said people above.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More restriction.

For example, bankruptcies, divorces, notice of mortgage default are all public info in United States. Or more so in some states than others.

In Quebec, Canada, it's extremely difficult to get a list of the said people above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but Ive found that Canadians are far more detailed about their record keeping and updating with creditors. I have access to peoples credit reports and verify most of my information that way. Without premitted use to search private databases and get these reports like I do its nearly impossible to find up to date info on anyone, US or Canadian....and yes the information is expensive...its really my only monthly expense outside my phone and website (not completed lol).

Even if you cant find them its really only the due diligence report that matters in the end. The creditor will always gets their money back in some shape or form.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 PM

I'm derailing this thread. I'll post via PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the kick in the butt. Im pretty clear now on what I want to do. Now the tricky part is how to explain what I want to do with my bosses so that I dont get fired in this next 30 days and lose a powerful job reference. This is my only real fear now.

I think I just need to accept the fact that Im not going to be 100% ready to make this leap in 30 days....and Im sure Ill have some more mini-breakdowns before April is over. I just need to keep focused and not let emotion take the better of me.

Thanks for all the advice and Id love to see some more responses here as I update the thread.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have made up your mind that you are not going to stay there (it sounds like you have), then tomorrow I would essentially give them 30 days notice that you are resigning. Spin it in a good way, you have decided to start your own business, but that it is important to you to leave on good terms, and don't want to leave them in a pinch. You are giving them extra notice and are flexible on when your last day will to help them make the transition to after you are gone. They should appreciate this.

Remember, you never signed your life away to these people, and while I understand your sense of loyalty, you are probaby a lot more loyal to them than they are to you (not true with every company, but most these days).

If you end up staying, you pretty much need to get a raise/promotion in return for staying and giving up your business, or they could hold it against you as a blemish on your record (how much or if they would hold this against you is highly situational dependent too)
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 AM

You asked:

Was taking the plunge scary?

For me, taking the plunge into the world of the unknown was not scary. I had a vision / purpose towards what I wanted to accomplish in life and a 9-5 job was not going to cut it. I just refused to let my fate be like the fate of 90% of other people.

Once you have a reason for doing what you are doing, and that reason is so powerful, so convincing for you to make the decision to plunge into the unknown.... anyone that comes to you trying to steal your dreams / sway you / discourage you, those people will quickly be ignored by yourself.

You must stand your ground for your own beliefs. Don't let them steal your dreams, don't let them pull you down.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About your part-time job - I'd probably skip that completely if it's some low paying scrub job. The $40 you make in a day for 4 hours of work could probably be better spent building aspects of your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If it makes your wife deal with the transition better, you should do it for her. As the business grows, she'll find that your financial security comes from you and your abilities and not an employer. Until then, I'd humor her. It's only temporary.

BTW, you can do a lot better than $10 an hour for parttime work. Look into stuff like tutoring or pt things that requre a little skill.