Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Default My College Essay...

That my parents think sucks.

If you fall into the same category as the rest of the world’s general population, you will have to put aside your previous biases, and listen to what I have to say. I bet I can give you a negative impression of me by describing myself in this way: “I am a poker player.” Most people would instantly envision me as a degenerate and compulsive person who could never be trusted. I can’t blame you though, I have had pre-conceived notions about many things that I knew little about as well. What I am attempting to explain is that not everyone fits the stereotype, and that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.
What makes a gambler a gambler is the fact that he or she is willing to risk his money on a completely uncontrollable result. I would never be interested in something like that, and would feel stupid for trying to beat games where the house is the only one who can really win in the long run. As a winning player I have had to do three main things…practice, exemplify self-control, and be able to handle a potential rough day. All three of these things are vital for success no matter what you want to do, be it a doctor or a poker player. But then why are avid poker players looked at as outcasts? Probably because poker players are lumped in with those who play blackjack and those who bet compulsively on sports.
Practice makes perfect. I only became a winning player because I was willing to figure out what I was doing wrong and work on it, much as I did as I progressed through high school. My high school career started off rather rough, much like my poker career. I first had to realize I was not as good as I thought in poker, and that school was not as easy as I thought. I had to determine what allowed me to learn best, and with time I was able to do so. This was true in poker as well, I had to adapt and find a comfortable playing style. Repetition was the next step, without repetition there is likely little practice. Through multiple quarters I struggled, getting mainly Bs and Cs as a freshman, but come senior year I had made the Honor Roll. Again my poker journey paralleled this experience. I went from losing for a few months consecutively, to a point where I no longer have losing months. I will never be perfect, but I can always practice perfectly.
Secondly was the implementation of self-control. This plays the biggest role in poker and a major one in life as well. I did not realize how to manage my money and play within myself for a long time and in school I needed to find what classes I was capable of succeeding in, not the highest ones I could participate in. This meant dropping honors courses and transferring to academic ones, but I had to accept that the honors classes were just not for me at that time. Once I began to play in games that I had the proper bankroll for I was able to play much more comfortably and win much more consistently. And in school I began to excel at the academic level once I did what was best for me, learn within my limits.
Lastly is the ability to handle rough days. I did not get a great grade on every test, but giving up would have done no good. I had to work harder, understand that I am not perfect, and that everyone has bad days. In poker I now know that no one wins every time; I can admit that there is a certain level of luck involved. But more importantly I knew that for every ten good days, there was bound to be a bad one.
Only by wanting to be better did I become better. This is why some poker players are life long compulsive “gamblers” and others consistently win. The desire and willingness to work hard at what you struggle with must be present; otherwise you set yourself up for failure. There will always be stereotypes for poker players, but I hope that you can now see the difference between those who fit it-and those who do not.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: My College Essay...

I think you suck.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Your parents suck for spawning the suck that is you.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM

learn your comma rules
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM

Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 PM

ban
Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 PM

The first 5 responses would indicate that this would be a poor college essay.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 PM

your parents are right.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:35 PM

I stopped at you saying you're a poker player.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 PM

plz don't talk about poker in a college essay