Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Default busting down and moving up

I tried a similar post in another forum and was told to try here. About how many hands with negative results do you need to play in order to consider busting yourself down to a lower level? And equally...how many hands or hours do you need to consider taking a shot at a bigger game if you are killing it at your current level? I play mostly live and I know there are poker programs for online players which track all this. But I always thought about 150 - 250 hours of live play and really killing the game is a good sample to say try taking a shot at a higher level. I am trying to be realistic about some of my past results and need help determining which way to take my game.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: busting down and moving up

honestly it depends on the magnitude of losses, imo
Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM

Search for advice on bankroll. If your bankroll says move down then do it. If your bankroll allows you to move up then consider it. pzhon has posted numerous times on correct bankroll rules.

Now, I have said the above assuming you are a winning player. Only you know that and only you can track it. The bigger your sample the more accurate the data. I can't actually tell you how many hours are needed for variance not to play a part though.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Yeah, I agree with Rek. If your min. bankroll is 20 BI, you should consider yourself killing the level good enough once you have 40 BI which is enough to bump your level.

I'd probably wait until 45-50BI in the lower limit before doubling the stakes just to have a little room for adjusting your game.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:18 PM

I would say in 10-15k hands if you are bellow sBB /100h EV (i.e. your EV is -3BB/100h or less) then you're a losing player and should go down.