Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Putting your foot in it

LOL. Oops. Well, you had no bad intent at least. It would have nice of the lady to cut you off before you made a fool of yourself.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd semester of high school chemistry. I'm having a conversation with A and B who sit near me during a lab. B says "she" in reference to A. We've been together in this class for months, so I'm quite sure A is a guy. I correct B with "he". B says "she" again quietly. I'm not backing down. This insult to A will not stand. I break out my advanced debating techniques. I talk louder. "A is a guy." I state unequivocally. B narrows her gaze and stares me down. While I wonder what B's problem is, A bursts into tears and runs out of the class.

Oops. I apologize to B, for all that's worth. I felt awful. Being in high school is tough enough, I didn't want to make an innocent girl miserable.

I can forgive myself for being an idiot. I can't forgive myself for not tracking down A and trying to make things right. I didn't try because it would have been uncomfortable for me. How bad was it for her?

I don't remember if she ever attended that class again. That was 20 years ago. Sorry A.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, I witnessed a very similar situation this summer. But this time there was no crying or running; we all just stood there and baked in the awkwardness for what seemed like two minutes.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM

While in a chemistry laboratory, I spent some time making fun of a certain group known as the Promise Keepers. The guy next to me, who I sometimes studied with, I believe, was wearing a shirt for said organization. Oops.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 AM

Thanks Katy, and thanks Dom, yeah, sadly they don't give awards for this [censored]. I really kind of screwed myself, I actually have a ton of these stories, as it's kind of one of my superpowers, but unfortunately I brought up the latest and greatest and it overshadows my previous acomplishments. However, I also believe there's a great deal of freedom in setting oneself up to take falls like this. Honesty is one of the rare seen beauties of our humanity, for better or worse. It's what makes reality television the most watched television of today. We, are the unknown variable, and one of the few species on the earth that have a sense of humor, which, while alone guaranees us no place on the upper food chain, should anyway.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM

Wednesday I had to go this meeting at work. It was long, boring, and freezing cold in the room, and when I got out all I wanted to do was go outside where it was warm and smoke a cigarette.

On the way to do this I ran into a student here at the college that I'm pretty good friends with and he started grabbing my shoulder and being really hyperactive. I look at him and I said "Can you quit [censored] touching me now?" He was a little taken aback, but calmed down and we go outside to smoke together.

Anyway we are talking about it, and I said I just don't like being touched which isn't necessarily true (it just was at that moment). I decided to make a joke that you shouldn't and said it was a direct result of my being sexually assaulted as a child. He seemed responsive to this explanation, and then I let him know that I was joking. I then found out that he was sexually assaulted by his crack-head biological father as a child.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 AM

When I was at school there was a history teacher who was basically a midget, like 4'11 or so, and he was a guy, so everyone ripped him for it.

One day he came into our class as he needed some textbooks from my teacher, he took a handful and then came back 5 minutes later.

My teacher asks 'Did you have enough books?'

Midget replies 'No, I'm two short'

He proceeded to go red after everyone laughed at him, poor fella, I'm sure he was a nice guy.

I seem to be quite good at not putting my foot in things. (touch wood)
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM

My gf of three years (I'm 23) was moving to a different city to go to law school. Right before she left, we planned a big romantic last-night celebration. A night at the W hotel, reservations at a nice French restaurant, champagne and strawberries, the works.

When we check into the hotel, there's a wedding group occupying most of the lobby, and we sign-in just as the bride is descending the big, majestic staircase. On the way to dinner, we pass three girls on their way to a bachelorette party, including one girl with a tiara and a sash that says, "I'm the bride!" When we get to the restaurant, there's a wedding party at the restaurant. Right as they're toasting the bride and groom, I look over the candlelit table into her beautiful brown eyes and say, "Boy, talk about ominous!"

*forehead slap*

She immediately got up and went to the bathroom for ten minutes.

What I meant was, "we're clearly too young to get married, we've even TALKED EXPLICITLY about being too young and not being ready, not to mention one of the points of you going to law school and me staying here so that we could both grow as people and live our lives and potentially meet other people so we don't get too close to each other and worry about 'what might have been', so now that we're clearly established that we are absolutely no where in the vicinity of talking about marriage at this juncture, it is interesting and noteworthy that there has been a lot of matrimonial imagery surrounding us on this exceedingly romantic night of nights. Also I love you very much."

When she got back, I hemmed and hawed through a less-eloquent version of the above paragraph. She was not amused. Fortunately the champagne was very good and I think she eventually understood what I meant and the night was pretty wonderful nevertheless.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but it was certainly an embarrassment.

One summer, I was "working" as a music counselor for a summer camp. I was more like a CIT (counselor in training) because I wasn't quite old enough to get paid, perhaps 15.

Anyway, I managed to get my hands on some pot, from an older counselor. Then I talked some of my peers into going into a wooded area, which I though was out of the way enough to be safe.

What seemed like the PRECISE moment that I was passing a joint to another person and was reassuring them - "don't worry, there's no way they could be looking out here right this second" -- a few security people came down upon us. I was really astonished by their timing. It was like they were waiting for me to make some wise ass comment before they seized us.

And now that I think about this, what made the whole thing worse was the subsequent interrogation, when I basically cracked and disclosed my source. I don't know why I did that, but somehow I was convinced they already knew, which perhaps they did. Also, my recollection is that I was up for several hours, in the middle of the night, before I gave in. Still, to this day, I'm still somewhat ashamed of the whole episode.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Haha you cracked and disclosed your source? God Wynton. You can't disclose your source. So what happened to you? Did you stay on as a counselor?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:25 PM

wynton: stop snitchin