Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Default General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

New thread per El D's request.

Some cool Texas music because Texas is awesome:

Ghostland Observatory - dancepunk duo from Austin. Saw them live and they were incredibly energetic and fun. I'd listen to Sad Sad City I guess.

Micah P. Hinson (not a legit MySpace page, but it does have a cool song on it so I posted it anyway) - folk/country singer-songwriter from Abilene who has a pretty cool bio (dated a model and got addicted to drugs before the age of 20).
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread Vol. 2

Okay, I wasn't involved in the last thread, and I'm not as musically knowledgeable as you guys, but I do have the ability to throw links around.

A friend recently handed me a CD of a band from Muncie, Indiana, and I really liked it. The band is called Arrah and the Ferns, and here is their mySpace

http://www.myspace.com/arrahandtheferns

Kinda folky pop, but not really, I don't have the vocabulary to describe these things. The three songs available on the mySpace are all pretty good, and hey, maybe one of you guys'll like 'em.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

this is pretty good kimbell, thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:54 PM

if we're going real small, here is a cool group I randomly saw last year. they have this really cool sound, especially if you like strings. and an accordion!

The Young Republic
youtube

another

myspace
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM

finally a new one...i was sick of going through the old one and never posting/getting sick of reading it.

i like ghostland observatory ty claunchy.

now to contribute, hmm....

DC band: www.purevolume.com/olympia
not very indie but i still like them. sort of like the foo fighters but a little more emo.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM

well....i hope im allowed to plug my band:

www.myspace.com/paperandsand

sort of a Police/Modest Mouse/Iron Maiden hybrid. hopefully some of you will enjoy. any comments would be much appreciated.

jon
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM

The new Iron and Wine (The Shepherd's Dog) is out. The myspace has all but one song.

http://www.myspace.com/ironandwine

"Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car" is a great song, and a pretty good intro to the whole album.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM

edIT (I don't like the default track on his MySpace, so listen to "Crying Megamix" or "Battling Go-Go Yubari in Downtown LA") is a DJ/Producer who is part of The Glitch Mob, a crew of kids who are all quite talented and have a wide variety of music between them.

He has 2 CD' on iTunes ("Crying over Pros for No Reason", which down-tempo, and "Certified Air-Raid Material" which is more dance heavy). Very different style of music, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. Plus, it's just impressive how intricate the tracks are, even when I don't care for them.

STS9 (aka Sound Tribe Sector Nine) is a group out of Georgia that defies definition (listen to "Piano Noir", "Aimlessly" and "Circus"). Think Jazz-rock-electro funk-fusion. Very much jam band in the sense that even if you might not like their tracks on your iPod you'd still love them in concert. Plus, the concerts are great ways to get any drug you want (read: they have a huge hippy following).
Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM

I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids
Cowards and Robbers Their Myspace page
Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen these guys in either thread but I have totally been wearing out this disc. They were suppose to tour with the White Stripes before Meg bailed.

Cold War Kids
Cowards and Robbers Their Myspace page

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the CD about a month ago, and wow it just keeps getting better. The whole thing sounds like a complete mess, but the energy and delivery make up for it more than enough and there is some pretty sweet lyrical content there as well. Stand out tracks are We Used To Vacation, Hang Me Out To Dry, Passing The Hat, Hospital Beds and Saint John imo. I can't wait to see these guys in Schorndorf on the 8th, it's gonna be quite a weekend. (Editors on the 7th and Bloc Party on the 11th as well [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])