Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Getting desired perscriptions without insurance? Post your storie

I have a couple friends that are drunks, smokers, under six feet and weigh like 300 pounds. They had no problem getting health insurance. I find it hard to believe that you can't get insured, even if it costs more. They even insure old people, and those dudes are gonna die!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple friends that are drunks, smokers, under six feet and weigh like 300 pounds. They had no problem getting health insurance. I find it hard to believe that you can't get insured, even if it costs more. They even insure old people, and those dudes are gonna die!

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe what you want, man... I've tried. You think I WANT to be an uninsured new father? If I could get covered, I'd fork out the payments in a heartbeat.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably because some actuary has said that if you are 6+ <130 there is a 90% chance you will be dead in 3 years (because you have aids, cancer, whatever preexisting condition) where as some fat dude may easily last 15 years.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that they aren't making an exception for OP.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 AM

Does your wife's work offer couples benefits? If so, you can likely get on her (and your child's) health insurance without ever having to step on a scale.

When I added my wife to my insurance, I'm pretty sure nobody checked her pulse, let alone her weight.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol $60 / bottle, good luck dude, prescription drugs are sick expensive. $200-300/30 days (1/2 bottle) is not unrealistic for some drugs. check the retail price on adderall (you'll def want a generic brand, which will retail for less)... $60/bottle is what you'd pay with health insurance

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a scrip for ritalin about 6 months ago. Original consult was about $300 or so. Follow-up visits are government-regulated, and I think you have to basically go back after one month ($130 visit for me), again in six months (all of these follow-up visits were $130 a pop), and then again every six to twelve months thereafter. I have insurance, so it costs me all of 10 bucks to get my monthly refill of 44 pills. I didn't have my prescription insurance card the other day, and paid full price for a month's worth of ritalin--even at full price, it was only $20 (note: technically, I'm on "methylin," which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as ritalin). Point being, if money's no object, you should easily be able to afford this, OP.

Hope I haven't violated any forum rules by refraining from acting like a pathetically childish prick to the OP. Sarcasm and warranted ball-busting is all good, but damn, if you're so starved for attention that you've gotta resort to seeking out internet confrontations in strange places in order to get your strokes, the least you can do is be funny and accurate, lecture-boy. Being skinny doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't take ritalin. Diminished appetite is a sometime side effect of the drug, which some but not all will experience, and which can easily be managed to the extent necessary with proper medical guidance. Carry on...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol $60 / bottle, good luck dude, prescription drugs are sick expensive. $200-300/30 days (1/2 bottle) is not unrealistic for some drugs. check the retail price on adderall (you'll def want a generic brand, which will retail for less)... $60/bottle is what you'd pay with health insurance

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a scrip for ritalin about 6 months ago. Original consult was about $300 or so. Follow-up visits are government-regulated, and I think you have to basically go back after one month ($130 visit for me), again in six months (all of these follow-up visits were $130 a pop), and then again every six to twelve months thereafter. I have insurance, so it costs me all of 10 bucks to get my monthly refill of 44 pills. I didn't have my prescription insurance card the other day, and paid full price for a month's worth of ritalin--even at full price, it was only $20 (note: technically, I'm on "methylin," which I'm pretty sure is the same thing as ritalin). Point being, if money's no object, you should easily be able to afford this, OP.

Hope I haven't violated any forum rules by refraining from acting like a pathetically childish prick to the OP. Sarcasm and warranted ball-busting is all good, but damn, if you're so starved for attention that you've gotta resort to seeking out internet confrontations in strange places in order to get your strokes, the least you can do is be funny and accurate, lecture-boy. Being skinny doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't take ritalin. Diminished appetite is a sometime side effect of the drug, which some but not all will experience, and which can easily be managed to the extent necessary with proper medical guidance. Carry on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty Elonkra - this is exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread.

How is your experience with ritalin? I've never had it, but have a friend with a prescription. He basically says it's great while it lasts, but afterwards he slips into a really bad crash.

The adderall xr I've tried generally lasts about 10 hours. There's a slight crash, but by that time I'm ready to sleep.

Also - do you take it daily? Do you have withdrawal symptoms if you dont take it? If I do get an rx (adderall or otherwise) I dont plan on daily use...it may be legal, but it's still speed...and obviously addictive.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He basically says it's great while it lasts, but afterwards he slips into a really bad crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is your experience with ritalin? I've never had it, but have a friend with a prescription. He basically says it's great while it lasts, but afterwards he slips into a really bad crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a godsend. The doctor told me it might help w/my lack of a desire to go to sleep at night, and perhaps it did a little at first, but I've never experience or heard of anyone who has experienced any sort of a crash. Go here to see what I've heard complaints about: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11114248

[ QUOTE ]
Also - do you take it daily? Do you have withdrawal symptoms if you dont take it? If I do get an rx (adderall or otherwise) I dont plan on daily use...it may be legal, but it's still speed...and obviously addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, ritalin isn't generally considered an addictive drug, although it can be if you abuse it. There's more on this in the link I gave you, but I use it near-daily because I'm working 6-7 days a week at the moment. I have a very addictive personality, and I have zero withdrawal symptoms (if I take a long weekend, vacation, etc., I have no desire for the drug -- the only time I use it is at work). Good luck.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Drive to Mexico, buy what you need, come home. Note some drugs are not available there, you might want to call before traveling.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never experience or heard of anyone who has experienced any sort of a crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you've heard it from me.

When Ritalin kicks in, there is a very mild feeling of well-being, very analogous to the feeling one may get after the day's first cup of coffee. It lasts for maybe a half hour. When it hits me, usually when I'm on my hour commute to work, I know everything is about to slip into focus, and that I will no longer be able to daydream until it wears off. Constant daydreaming is a big problem/gift I have that Ritalin all but eliminates.

The "crash" is exactly the opposite of this. For me, it's almost like a homesick feeling. Depression is too strong, and anger is not quite right, but it's a feeling of not really wanting to do anything. I've won gigantic pots when in this state, and felt absolutely nothing. It also lasts about half an hour. When it goes away, I'm usually ready for bed.

I've been able to manage this rebound by reminding myself it's the Ritalin, and not anything going on in front of me, that's making me feel this way. Also, since I switched to the longer-acting Ritalin LA, the "crashes" have been much more manageable, although the standard-release form probably works a little better for me.

Remember, these things affect different people differently.