Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Ask me about financial success to spending 2 years state prison

It can't really be 100% can it?

I've never smoked one cigarette in my life and if I went to prison I know a lot of things about me would change but I'm pretty sure that would not be one of them because I already have enough breathing issues when I'm just around smoke.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM

nyc,

When I got out, I felt extremely confident that I would be able to buy into a small company in an industry I was interested in, use my business expertise to grow it then be part of a successful business.I put maybe a 20% effort into it at the time, used whatever I had left for living expenses, and found pokerstars.

My gf was in philly and I had to live in ny for due to parole (lasted only a year). I decided the best move was to go through a little self-pity/entitlement. I was paying about $5k/month in living expenses,+$2k/month in poker losses, with no income coming in. I did not start to get serious about my future until after I moved in with my gf a year later.

I still was looking for businesses to put my dwindling nest egg into, and actually went ahead with 2, that did not pan out. I caught a nice run in the mkt, that enabled to make a conservative living now.

ein,

The weed comes in through the visits. I think it cost a pack of cigs or 2 for a pin-joint. It would just be smoked in the yard. They did a lot of random drug screenings, you knew who the dopers were, those who were constantly drinking water. It surprisingly worked well, as the same people always smoking, and called in for tests were not getting busted.

Tuq,

Id say 30-40% of the people smoked. You were only allowed to smoke outside during yard time or on the way to chow. If it was before lights out, a decent CO would let you go outside for a smoke if you ask. If not we just smoked in the bathrooms. Most CO's did not care, but there were some who always were checking for smokers looking to write them up. Fortunately I never got caught.Basically anyone except a chain smoker could get by.

And yes the habit for me was cultivated mostly by boredom, then by stress.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can't really be 100% can it?

I've never smoked one cigarette in my life and if I went to prison I know a lot of things about me would change but I'm pretty sure that would not be one of them because I already have enough breathing issues when I'm just around smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you'd be forced to start smoking something else in prison, Bob.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM

OK thanks. I guess I've just seen too many prison movies and the whole "cigarettes as currency" thing gives me this vision of everyone just standing in the yard smoking or playing cards for sticks.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM

if you're implying what I think you're implying that's what would scare me the most about prison.
I'm not nearly as bad-ass as OP and if I tried to act like I was it would look comically bad.

This is a really awesome thread though. Thanks xx44 for answering everyone's questions.
For your experience it really didn't sound so bad.
I guess I'm kind of curious about the guys more towards the bottom of the food-chain.
Were there others who weren't quite as bad-ass as you who were living in constant fear of getting shanked/raped, etc?
You seemed to get along with others around you okay, even some of the intimidating ones. But what about some of those who didn't jive with the social-system quite so well?

Also curious about the amount of homosexuality around you.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 PM

micro,

Lol,def no badass here. The post where I wrote about my first day in rikers and the phone, was indicative of what my time was like. Meaning I was respectful, and ws kinfa under the radar. The loud ones, braggers, chit-talkers would be put in check rather quickly.

As far a rape, def not in a med prison, and from my questions to those woh were in Attica,Greenhaven (the max), they never saw that,or even heard it happening.

The one's who didn't socially mix well, usually stayed by themselves, and were never fcked because they were no threat.

As far as homosexuality, I heard 2 rumors of so and so was blowing so and so in the bathroom.It was not flaunted.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM

xx44 - I don't think you fully realize how bad-ass you come off in some of your posts.
It's generally understood that you look somewhat wussy-like compared with some of the big guys. But turning around and shaking hands with the phone dudes on your very first day is pretty solid as are a couple of your other incidents.

Kind of surprised at the lack of rapes and/or the wimpier ones being made to be someone's "bitch". Guess I also watched too much Oz.
It definitely doesn't sound fun but the way you describe it really doesn't sound that horribly bad.

Myturn's experience seemed quite a bit worse than yours.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I started the thread mainly because I thought you would be interested hearing the experiences of someone whose life made a sudden turn, the da's handling of the prosecution is incidental. I do not want to argue as to my guilt or innocence.

Think about it, at the time I was probably only a few years older than most of the posters here. The success I achieved was what I wished for when I was in college. Regardless of how I got there, my $4k/month apt, was changed for a bunk in a 48sqft room with a murderer as a roommate. Surely there are questions of thexperience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you're putting up with all the retarded "omgzor why did you break the law?" questions, cause this is probably the most entertaining thread I've read in quite a while.

Was there a lot of violence, etc going on generally speaking in the prison? Were other people getting it, just not you?

Were you generally liked by other inmates that you didn't associate with as much?

Are there well-defined social cliques outside of obvious established literal gangs? You mentioned the italians stayed together, but did people with common crimes, backgrounds stick together?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

xx,

1. How did you get out of your apartment lease, or did you have to pay the early termination fee?

2. What about reoccurring bills, credit card payments etc...Were you able to pay those or did you have someone handle them for you?

3. Someone asked this earlier and I didnt see a response, but what did you do on the day before or your last night before going in?

4. How clean and sanitary were the restrooms?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 PM

Best thread in a long time, thanks xx44.