Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/19 - 500K buyin pt 3 - Spoilers on al

so if a K or T doesn't fall on river, and Jamie is still begging, Sammy goes all in? There is no collusion, but Sammy was trying to look like the bigger man on tv, which is most important to him. barry and doyle didn't think he had KK, prob because of limp/call, so let's not say it was obvious he had KK, even though they openly hinted their exact holdings preflop. BTW when was the last great laydown on this show, it seems top pair+ they're going to showdowns, unless it's very obvious (Guy's Jacks Full) Is this another TV thing, not wanting to be bluffed, or do they really play like this?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 PM

I certainly was not looking forward to having my embarassing J9 hand shown on TV. What you didn't see is that we belittled Sammy more than was shown on the Aces versus Kings hand. The post mortem of that hand was another five minutes. I made a mental note that Sammy was steaming from being laughed at when he claimed he knew he had the best hand and was being nice to Jamie. I thought he was going to play the next hand to the river.

In another context I would have folded the J-9 on the flop when I got raised. The turn and the river were both bad cards. I just went with my first thought and was wrong. I didn't adjust even though Sammy's bet sizes all screamed, "I have the best hand."

People are saying that I should have known that Sammy was playing tighter after the flop this session, but remember, I didn't know that because I didn't get to see his hole cards like you guys have.

On the Ace seven hand, I wish I would have value bet the river, but I couldn't figure out what Sammy had. I was hoping he had 10-9 and might bluff. I assumed he would have raised me on the flop if he had a queen, especially because I was getting kind of short on chips. As for the raise preflop, I hadn't picked up any hands to this point and thought I needed to try to steal some time because we had several opponents who were trying to see cheap flops with any two cards.

Barry
Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

thx for the insights Barry
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Barry; I think a lot people forget that you had not seen his hole cards and thus noticed he was playing tighter than usual. Sammy has played like that with air before and it's difficult not to pay him off at times, I bet. What are your thoughts on Jamie's play? I noticed Gabe commenting on people being negative to his play, but that those were only playing for 2$/4$.. I think it's fair to say, calling 3bets with 6-4o is pretty far off game?

Anyway, I've been wondering, when was the 500k buyin of HSP filmed? Had you seen the episode before it aired?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Sammy seemed quite upset about misplaying the A7 hand against you.

Way to go you Turn Card Suck Out Luck Box. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM

The taping for HSP 4 was done May 13-15.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

All I know is the rest of the players were happy Sammy checked the river... that way Jaime still has those chips and a better chance they get them from Jaime then Farha.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM

You're right Sammy wasn't playing tighter, he was just flopping top pairs, overpair, top + flush draw, and being his usual aggressive self, with not many showdowns. As far as the A7 goes, I don't think he calls you with worse, but it's funny to think he almost bet QT. Also Antonio and Sammy always seem to announce they are steaming or something is 'so sick' when they are strong or do they do this a lot? ( I can remember Antonio doing this with 3 AA,AA,KK over these seasons, and then proceed to limp-reraise, Sammy hardly gets these hands but he wasn't short on a speech with those aces.)
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IIn another context I would have folded the J-9 on the flop when I got raised. The turn and the river were both bad cards. I just went with my first thought and was wrong. I didn't adjust even though Sammy's bet sizes all screamed, "I have the best hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

After Sammy’s River bet you said something to the effect of I wish you had bet more. Is it correct to say that you would have insta called if Sammy had made an all in bet rather than ½ your stack?

Also if it’s not giving away to much information would you rather have position on Sammy or Gold?

I've really enjoyed your book and I appreciate your input here.

Scott
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 PM

JAMIE GOLD IS A GENIUS. how he doesn't go broke on that hand is true gamesmanship/mass confusion.