Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can say is I hope that this will now make the federal and state governments(all states that haven't legalized poker) take a long look at legalizing cardrooms for the safety of everyone who plays in underground cardrooms. Is there anyway we (we being the PPA) can begin to lobby states such as NY to legalize cardrooms? This is just becoming absolutely ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mean to derail this thread but anyone who still thinks the PPA is representing PLAYERS needs a wake up call. The PPA is an organization representing online poker rooms the largest affiliates, their agenda is to make online poker legal provided the online rooms that are funding the PPA through our dollars can remain in business in the US. The PPA is not concerned about legalizing poker in NY, they wont do a thing - this is why we really need another organization to step up to the plate, one clear of any improper funding. The PPA will have little direct affect on congress once congress figures out how they are funded - its a sad state we are in [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the purpose of the PPA is to put a lobby group in Washington that will legalize the transactions of online gaming but eventually that will happen. Will the PPA then just dissolve itself? Or will it try and lobby for other changes that would benefit poker players? Are there any other organizations that are out there currently that are lobbying?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can say is I hope that this will now make the federal and state governments(all states that haven't legalized poker) take a long look at legalizing cardrooms for the safety of everyone who plays in underground cardrooms. Is there anyway we (we being the PPA) can begin to lobby states such as NY to legalize cardrooms? This is just becoming absolutely ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mean to derail this thread but anyone who still thinks the PPA is representing PLAYERS needs a wake up call. The PPA is an organization representing online poker rooms the largest affiliates, their agenda is to make online poker legal provided the online rooms that are funding the PPA through our dollars can remain in business in the US. The PPA is not concerned about legalizing poker in NY, they wont do a thing - this is why we really need another organization to step up to the plate, one clear of any improper funding. The PPA will have little direct affect on congress once congress figures out how they are funded - its a sad state we are in [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the purpose of the PPA is to put a lobby group in Washington that will legalize the transactions of online gaming but eventually that will happen. Will the PPA then just dissolve itself? Or will it try and lobby for other changes that would benefit poker players? Are there any other organizations that are out there currently that are lobbying?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a bit more than what I am explaining here but to give you the short and safe version the PPA was co-opted by Party Poker for their agenda, and then was rebirthed as an industry organization. Since the industry cannot lobby congress the players themselves are being used as the front.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a bit more than what I am explaining here but to give you the short and safe version the PPA was co-opted by Party Poker for their agenda, and then was rebirthed as an industry organization. Since the industry cannot lobby congress the players themselves are being used as the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you PM me the details of this so we don't distract from this tragedy more than we already have?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is some more info about Frank in another news article
http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.s...led_in_po.html

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The robbers, one of whom used to play at the club, entered the poker club by force and took money from nearly the 100 players who were there last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting info. How did they know one of the robbers used to play at the club? And if this is true, they could be one step closer to catching these scumbags.

Garland
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting info. How did they know one of the robbers used to play at the club? And if this is true, they could be one step closer to catching these scumbags.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

that really shouldn't be discussed here, its possible that the robbers are reading the same threads and news sources that we are. Just leave it at - they know.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is some more info about Frank in another news article
http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.s...led_in_po.html

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The robbers, one of whom used to play at the club, entered the poker club by force and took money from nearly the 100 players who were there last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not discuss who might have seen what. Speculating about this in public may prevent witnesses from coming forward.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM

My friend flew from Cali to deal in the new club. He arrived there on his first night of work to see the police cars outside. He's already on his way back. He says he dealt to Frank quite a bit at the old room (same owners) and that he was a super nice guy. This sucks, for him, his family and for NY poker... I really hope these guys are caught.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We would all like more legalized poker I think. But the more likely result of incidents like this is an increased crack down on clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. Too many people see incidents like this and think "this is why poker needs to stay illegal" instead of realizing that if poker were legal events like this would be much rarer.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM

I hope these robbers get caught, and fry. Felony murder = life.

I remember the victim vaguely from playing, and yes he was a good man. It is a real shame.

It could have been any of us. No more underground poker for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Some interesting new information from the NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/ny...l?ref=nyregion