Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

[ QUOTE ]
quoted post has been deleted

[/ QUOTE ]

Can this guy be banned already? I'm afraid to post in this thread because I may be ranted at for asking an innocent question.

How can something like this happen? Why aren't there metal detectors and such at games like this; there's a history of poker games being robbed at gunpoint. Get metal detectors, get security. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. One would expect this to lead to regulation and legalization, but as other posters have indicated, the opposite will probably happen.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can say is I hope that this will now make the federal and state governments(all states that haven't legalized poker) take a long look at legalizing cardrooms for the safety of everyone who plays in underground cardrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like they have rushed to legalize drugs for the safety of all the people who might get killed because of illegal drug sales.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can say is I hope that this will now make the federal and state governments(all states that haven't legalized poker) take a long look at legalizing cardrooms for the safety of everyone who plays in underground cardrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like they have rushed to legalize drugs for the safety of all the people who might get killed because of illegal drug sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually hoping for a result that ended prohibition.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually hoping for a result similar to the one that ended prohibition
Old 11-03-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually hoping for a result that ended prohibition.

[/ QUOTE ]
We would all like more legalized poker I think. But the more likely result of incidents like this is an increased crack down on clubs.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean no disrespect, if this is someone close to you I apologize for any pain. I simply want to know if a person by that first name who I DO know and DO like is the victim. Whoever it is, it is a tragedy. A small one for New York poker, a horrible one for his family.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM

well according to the ny daily news article, it says the gunmen forced the bouncer up onto the elevator and went into the club, so even if there was a metal detector, nothing could've been done...
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't there metal detectors and such at games like this; there's a history of poker games being robbed at gunpoint. Get metal detectors, get security.

[/ QUOTE ]

The club owners become more culpable and more likely to be prosecuted as mobsters the more security they get. It is much safer for them to just let the robbers be the bad guys as they sit idly by. You want to make money without being guilty of violating RICO statutes, and you have to think of your own future before your customers when it comes down to making a choice.

Not that they want to be robbed, but they don't want to accessories to murder (if one of their security goons were to kill someone for example).
Old 11-03-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless u r frank's 10 yo nephew u r out of line. pls grow up.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 PM

I hear ya. I don't know, it seems easy to me though. Get a metal detector, place it outside the door. Get a camera to watch the door/metal detector. Have someone watch the camera. Anyone who wants to come in has to go through the metal detector.