Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Default 20/40 stud hand

live, one of first hands at table, so no big reads.

i bring in with (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], a ten folds, villain completes with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (highest door), others fold. (dead cards 9,9,6,5) i call.

4th:
him: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

he bets, i call.

5th:
him: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

i check, he bets, i call.

6th:
him: (xx)J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
me: (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

he bets, i call

i catch an ace on the river for aces up. he bets...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: 20/40 stud hand

raaaise
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM

raise.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 PM

given the EP raise and the # of hearts in your hand, I think it is much more likely he has a worse 2 pair than a flush, don't you? He may even have less than that as he may have raised with just the highest door as you pointed out.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM

I think you can raise Fourth not knowing whether you have the best hand or not. It's very unlikely you'll get re-raised, and if you are forced out of position by pairing or catching an Ace, your hand will be strong enough to lead with. If you still have position on Fifth, you can decide from his reaction to the raise and action on Fifth if one pair is worth betting for value or if you want to take a card at a discount.

Having raised, you will likely take the pot on Fifth if you pair or catch a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but he will probably pay off if you catch an offsuit Ace, which seems like a very good outcome.

Regarding the river I think you can raise, His hand didn't look like more than Jacks, and he may have bet the river defensively with one pair. You have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so it would be tough for him to three-bet even with a flush.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 AM

Raise.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM

I'm still something of a noob so please help me with this. Why not let the hand go on fifth? He had a pair of 3's against a better hand. His opponent was betting the whole way. Granted his opponent saw a weak board but still.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 PM

If you have two overcards to his likely pair you have odds to call until 7th street. Hero is only a 40/60 underdog against Jacks, and something like 30/70 against Jacks up. I think the cases where he has Jacks up cancel out with the times he doesn't even have Jacks.
Thats the reason why its important to have a large kicker to go with your small pair if you want to play.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:54 AM

There's a decent chance that plump has the best hand on fifth. And against bare Jacks, he has way too many outs to consider folding considering that there's a little money in the pot.

I might not find it at the table, but I think raising the river is probably best. Can you comfortably fold to a three-bet? If not, calling might be better. Will the other guy lay down two pair to your raise? If so, the raise has no value. I would say that against typical $20/40 opposition, raising is your best option.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM

I can 100% fold to a river 3-bet. Even if he has a flush I don't think I'm getting 3-bet.