Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Who makes more mistakes- short stack or big profit stack?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3342K board (K4 vs 84) sort of works for that description.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmmm, no it doesn't. That isn't a bottom pair flop.

" I hit bottom pair, high kicker on the flop, checked/called. check called blank turn with the intent on pushing almost any river when I hit top 2 and still pushed to his insta-call. He had the same bottom pair as me with a middle kicker"

I think "top 2" meant Rott was planning on pushing if he hit the top two, but pushed anyway when it didn't come.

Only thing I can think of that would fit would be something like A5 on a 567J7 board against 87, but that doesn't make top 2 either.

Rott, what the HELL are you smokin'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...Sorry. What I meant to write was my river gave me top and bottom pair which I knew was 100% good.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rottersod is magic! Bottom pair becomes top 2... I don't think I want you at my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you would use K4 and 84 in your example because I did have K4.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rottersod is magic! Bottom pair becomes top 2... I don't think I want you at my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Power of 4 strikes again! Of COURSE you knew your kicker pair of Kings were goot!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Good question. I think the best way I can answer it is that the bad players make mistakes with both big stacks and short stacks, and the good players play both well.

One interesting example is how a very short stack is played. In one home game I frequent, you can't rebuy until you bust. When stacks get pretty low, people go all-in preflop with some pretty weak hands. They want to gamble, it doesn't cost a whole lot in absolute terms, and they want another new stack.

As a good player, this isn't a bad idea, since if you have a shorter stack than everyone else your winnings are very limited. It's probably worth it to dump your mini stack just so you can get back in the game.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 AM

I'd say the biggest mistake I probably see is playing a speculative hand that requires high implied odds, when either hero's stack is too small, or hero's stack is big enough but the opponent's stack is too small.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling large raises with K4. Oooookaaaay.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling large raises with K4. Oooookaaaay.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 PM

My personal experience is that bad/new players make mistakes with all stack sizes, but their more costly mistakes are when they are playing with large effective stacks. With small effective stacks, they play speculative hands, and with large effective stacks, their calling station tendencies take over. For these players, they are in the danger zone when they get a big stack (and should strongly consider leaving when this happens).

More experienced players usually know not to donk off a big stack, but they will still frequently fail to adjust to a smaller stack and will still play speculative hands when their opponents stack size is not large enough for that play to be profitable. For these players, their mistakes will usually come when they have a big stack, but there are several small stacks at the table. Of course, those mistakes are less costly than misplaying big effective stacks.

Note that big stacks can also choose to play sub-optimally against a small stack if there are other big stacks in the hand. This is the nature of the inherent advantage that comes with a short stack, and is not usually a mistake on the part of the big stack.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 PM

In my game it is usually the big stacks who make costlier mistakes. This is mostly because there are 2 'good' players and 3 who are loose/passive/aggressive depending on their respective moods.

The not so good players do okay as long as they don't win too much. They make many mistakes but usually don't pay that much for them.

When stacks get into the 200+bb range, they can usually be counted on to either call off their stack with 1 pair hands, or bluff off too much against players who have them covered.