Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: IOWA FARMLAND in GRAVE danger

Dont panic, most of the popcorn from Iowa is bought by JOLLY POP........junk compared to Orville Redneck.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LMFAO.........SELL!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you have a sense of humor fishhead! I am always willing to engage someone in conversation when they can be passionate about something but also maintain a comedic side.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we more worried about the price of popcorn at a movie theater than we are about energy security in this country???

I sincerely hope not.

-FH-

[/ QUOTE ]

I always laugh when I hear the security argument. Oil is produced all over the world and producer economies are dependant upon selling as much as possible. The market is also fungible, Iran cant sell only to Europe without freeing up more oil to be shipped to us. If oil were truly scarce it wouldn't be so cheap on international markets. If the US really wanted cheap oil we would go back to the balanced budgets of the Clinton era, the dollar would go back to being worth more than the euro and oil would then only be $40 per barrel.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the US really wanted cheap oil we would go back to the balanced budgets of the Clinton era,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??
Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 AM

I don't get it. The thesis is that Iowa's interests are about 97815x as important as anyone else's in the eyes of politicians, because Iowa holds the first caucuses.

How is the recommendation of an organization in Paris, France related to that?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. The thesis is that Iowa's interests are about 97815x as important as anyone else's in the eyes of politicians, because Iowa holds the first caucuses.

How is the recommendation of an organization in Paris, France related to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points actually........and exactly one of the reasons farmland in Iowa will be a safe investment up until the Nov/08 election.....at the very, very least.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are we more worried about the price of popcorn at a movie theater than we are about energy security in this country???

I sincerely hope not.

-FH-

[/ QUOTE ]

I always laugh when I hear the security argument. Oil is produced all over the world and producer economies are dependant upon selling as much as possible. The market is also fungible, Iran cant sell only to Europe without freeing up more oil to be shipped to us. If oil were truly scarce it wouldn't be so cheap on international markets. If the US really wanted cheap oil we would go back to the balanced budgets of the Clinton era, the dollar would go back to being worth more than the euro and oil would then only be $40 per barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think the fiscal budget or the balance of payments has a larger impact on the strength of the dollar?

Barron
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

do you think the fiscal budget or the balance of payments has a larger impact on the strength of the dollar?

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fiscal deficit helps drives the balance of payment deficit by attracting foreign cash flows to U.S. treasuries, i.e. they aren't buying our goods with the dollars we send them, they are reinvesting them in U.S treasuries because we are borrowing huge amounts of money. This balance of payments deficit helps drive the devaluation of the dollar.

Jimbo,

I didn't write those words because I was a big fan of Clinton. The balanced budgets we had during his administration were partially the responsibility of a Republican congress fighting his spending proposals. During that period the U.S. dollar was very strong. But during Bush's administration we abandoned all semblence of fiscal responsibility, in part because there was no counterbalancing force in congress. IMHO of course.

But regardless of the factors driving the U.S. dollar, the result is very clear. When the Euro was introduced a dollar could buy 0.75 Euros. Throughout the remainder of Clinton's administration the dollar increased in value vs. the Euro. By Nov. 2000 (GW Bushes election), a dollar could buy 1.17 Euros. Today a dollar buys 0.73 Euros. The devaluation of the dollar has added roughly $25 per barrel (over 1/3) to our imported oil prices by itself since the end of 2000.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fiscal deficit helps drives the balance of payment deficit by attracting foreign cash flows to U.S. treasuries, i.e. they aren't buying our goods with the dollars we send them, they are reinvesting them in U.S treasuries because we are borrowing huge amounts of money. This balance of payments deficit helps drive the devaluation of the dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

but if you decompose the BoP you see net exports being the main driver. the growth and unheard of productivity increases during the clinton era (which attracted a TON of capital to equity and non govt debt markets and allowed us to import so much) allowed for balanced budgets due to ever growing tax receipts. fiscal responsibility did go out the window w/ 911 and iraq and tax cuts and the prescription drug benefits package, but the dollar weakness can only be partly (imo at most 35%) explained by fiscal budgets. and in terms of flows that 35% may be WAAAAAAYYYY an over estimate.

Barron
Old 09-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Hope everybody is seeing what the soybean market has done in recent weeks/months.

Forget corn, beans are on fire!

Iowa farmland produces soybeans in abundance also.