Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Big Fun trip report- Sept 07

This is a report of my attendance at BigNFun's cash game over the holiday weekend.

I was only able to get one of my regulars interested in attending, and Mothra wasn’t able to attend until later in the evening, so I took the 50 minute drive to BigNFun’s house for the 6 p.m. cash game night that he was hosting. I got there around 6:15 (Boss of all Bosses was running late, as usual when I have to go somewhere) but the game hadn’t started yet.

This group is part of an invitation-only tournament rotation that occurs monthly, supposedly. Individual group members choose to host cash games on their own. BigNFun had recently had a basement renovation completed…. by Mrs.BNF, the lovely Carpenter Ant, who was supposedly somewhat new to poker. There was a small bar area, with a kegorator, a pinball machine and two tables. One, with a pretty beat up felt, was evidently an original construction... made out of a door.

The other table was one of those folding table with padded bumpers, that BigNFun’s brother SPP (Serious Poker Player) had attached legs to and left at BigNFun’s house.

It was this second, newer table that we used when we started with the $0.50/$1 NLHE cash game, sometime after 6:30. Copag cards and the dice chips (with denoms) were the equipment in use; the bar had various snacks, iincluding chips n dip, cookies, and small soft pretzels, all rake-free (very kind of them, even though I couldn’t take advantage of the kegorator). To this I added my usual- vitamins (peanut ones this time, because BoaB didn’t notice that they weren’t the plain dark chocolate M&Ms when she picked up the bag for me)- and a gift bag of fancy ConfectionatelYours chocolate pretzels for the hosts, which they later had me bring down for the late-night players.

Besides, the four players already mentioned, we also had at the table: CollegeP, Carlito and JazzyJ. I sat to the left of BigNFun, which he said was a smart move. I replied that it was a smart move for him to be on my right, leading to some brief comments around the table about how people did against others based on position. I ended it with “people in my general area code do well against me”.
2 decks were in play, with the previous dealer shuffling, passing to the BB to cut for the next dealer (the current SB). BigNFun soon started calling me 3-cut Larry, after seeing my semi-patented deck cutting technique.

The action was pretty aggressive early- I don’t think we saw a limped pot in the first hour or so. I had a few hands that I open-raised with, but dumped on the flop to bets and raises. Then I caught QdQh and made it my standard $2.25 to go UTG, getting a few callers before BigNFun reraised to $8 from the BB. I reraised to $16, folding the table to BigNFun’s call…. and a Kd9d5d flop. BigNFun pushed, leaving me in a quandary trying to estimate my outs. I was getting about 2:1 on the hand, which I eventually called… to find out that I wasn’t as far behind as I feared. BigNFun’s AKo was still good after the Jo on the turn, giving me a few more outs while cutting my odds… but the river blank sent me to my pocket for another buy-in.

Carpenter Ant was getting a lot of respect from her bets- she typically liked to bet or raise to either $5 or $10 flat. I managed to catch her on one hand, forcing her to fold on the river. On another hand, I pulled a patented move when I bet the T88 flop with my T9, checked the turn and check-called the river against JazzyJ, who had a lower pair. Imagine my (lack of) surprise when I turned over my hand and found out that Mr Senile had forgotten what his hand was AGAIN. At least the 98 that I DID have gave me the pot… if not the missed bets.

While BigNFun and SPP were building up their stacks, and Carlito was also growing his pile, I just kept bouncing up and down. One hand, I called a raise after limping with J8s, flopped bottom two pair on a QJ8 flop”… and trapped AA into catching a river set (or second pair, not that it mattered) to take away my moolah.

My group member Mothra showed up as promised around 7:30, playing a little NL before we got enough people to break off the $1/2 limit rotation game. Players who arrived to allow this were Goth and Soul Man, with Goth joining myself, Mothra, CollegeP and Carlito.

BigNFun delegated the game-running to yours truly, and the table held a discussion before finally settling on HOARSE (“A” being Omaha high; the letter designation was Mothra’s suggestion), Most of the players were unfamiliar with at least two of the stud games, while Omaha/8 wasn’t a often-played game either.

That helped me get enough steals and lucky hands (the 5-card wheel against Goth’s showing a 9-draw was a nice one) to win my way back to even, while helping to explain half of the games to members.

Most of the players eventually got tired of the strain of dealing with new games, and when we lost CollegeP for the night, the two tables consolidated into one after about 80 minutes of the rotation game. We mainly played NLHE from there, even though a $2/4 dealer’s choice game broke out for a while in between. The hold’em was NL, the Omaha was pot-limit, and the other rotation games were limit.

I had one nice razz hand against Goth, when I reraised Goth on 5th street with a J73 against his K82 board, eventually getting a 7-low that beat whatever he didn’t show on the river.

However, the many cooks trying to turbo-teach Soul Man about Omaha/8, razz and such eventually slowed the game down enough that the rotation portion was eventually dropped again. Some NLHE hands I had notes on:

After raising preflop in middle position, I called Goth’s $10 half-pot bet with AQ on the KJ5 flop. When the Ace came on the turn, Goth pushed… and I sat there for a long time, trying to decide if I was a huge dog or a decent favorite. I eventually called, to see Goth turn over KQ. I had his $40.75 push covered by two bits, so I tripled up on the hand when the 7 bricked the river.

Then Marlo adopted the tactic of overbetting the pot to $50, either on the flop or turn, and taking down the pot most of the time. The times I was involved, he had caught me trying to steal with missed hands on the turn or river- I could never catch him.

Later on, AQ on the button, raised to around $4, getting a few callers, including Mothra to my right. On the Queen-high flop, I called Mothra’s bet, getting it heads up. On the turn, Mothra checked, I bet $17 and he pushed for $32 with KQ. The Queen on the river felted him and he left for the evening.

I’m not sure when SPP cashed out for the evening, and Carpenter Ant soon ended her night as well. Somewhere around 1:45, our host also cashed out his racks of chips (good to see that his vig was covered, even if I had to contribute some of it). Marlo, Goth, Carlito and I continued playing until around 2:30 a.m, when BigNFun finally called it a night for us.

All told, it was an enjoyable evening and I even managed to hang onto a few dollars in the NL game, making my 50-minute drive home in the wee hours a little more bearable. A few of the players might check out the DPC some time, if it doesn’t interfere with their own games.

So, if you get an invitation to play in BigNFun’s house, I would advise you to take it. Nice job by the hosts in putting on the game. BigNFun, thanks again for having Mothra and I out to your home.... and I expect you to have the same low-rider mohawk that your two boys did, if I can convince Boss of all Bosses to let me visit again in the future.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Big Fun trip report- Sept 07

funny you mention the mohawk, carpenter ant just clean shaved my head and chopped off the kid's mohawks for school

thanks for coming, glad you enjoyed yourself, Im sure we'll be playing together again sometime soon.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 PM

you have to look at your hole cards more often, it helps!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Good report, wish I was in PA... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM

www.remax.com
Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.remax.com

[/ QUOTE ]

lol