Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Default balance drills and 2 swing pics.

What kind of drills, or excersizes, can I do to improve my balance? Sometimes, on my folow through, I feel like all my weight is on the balls of my left foot, or that I am leaning back too far. I feel like my backswing is under control although I may be coming back too far, but after I make contact things start to fall apart. I also notice my left ankle rolling over, but I see others do the same thing. Is that a problem? (I do own golf shoes, just didn't bring them on this trip)

I need to work on balance and so does my daughter (10). Her instructor said that is the biggest thing she is lacking, so if you know anything for kids too that would be great.

Sorry no video, just these 2 cheesy pictures from a trip to Hilton Head 2 years ago. (My stomach is much smaller now, I'd been off work for about 6 months here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] these pics make me laugh)

Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: balance drills and 2 swing pics.

You look like chris moneymaker.

Seriously though it looks like you're lifting your left foot too much, and/or pushing out your left knee towards the ball on your backswing, which causes/indicates a reverse pivot instead of a weight shift and can throw off your balance for the rest of the swing.

as for how to fix it... I don't know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Work on weight shift. In the top pic your left shoulder should be closer to being right over your right foot. It looks like a reverse pivot. This is when your weight goes front to back instead of back to front.

I can't tell if your right leg is still flexed at the top of your swing. It looks as though it is completely straight. That is bad.

Keep your left leg flexed, turn your backswing until your shoulder is over your right foot.

I think that is all I can think of without watching in motion.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 PM

8-board from grail sports, I use it with my lessons and for my personal practice too.

tobdog http://www.grailsports.com/index.php
Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 PM

Address the ball as normal. Take your right leg and lift it off the ground. Point your toes of your right leg down and then lightly set your toes on the ground a foot or so behind you.

Now make a normal swing. You might fall over or at the least you'll have trouble. It will teach you to keep the upper body from moving forward and back so much and will force you to maintain balance through the swing or you'll fall over. You can see the first pic that you are lifting the foot of the left leg which means that at the top of your backswing there is almost no weight on that leg. It most likely makes you rock your swing.

FWIW, Nicklaus rolled his left ankles over and he tried to do it. It's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if your right leg is still flexed at the top of your swing. It looks as though it is completely straight. That is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's straight, but not locked.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep your left leg flexed, turn your backswing until your shoulder is over your right foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it should feel like I am really reaching with my hands to pull that shoulder over my foot?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Work on weight shift. In the top pic your left shoulder should be closer to being right over your right foot. It looks like a reverse pivot. This is when your weight goes front to back instead of back to front.

I think that is all I can think of without watching in motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with him and just wish to add that if you place something like a half inflated beach ball between your knees at address and then take a swing it will drop to the ground if your right leg becomes straight in the back swing. Obviously don’t worry about where the golf ball is going with a beach ball between your legs you’re not going to hit good shots it’s just a drill to get the feeling of keeping a stable base.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's straight, but not locked.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so it should feel like I am really reaching with my hands to pull that shoulder over my foot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should feel exactly like this.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Horrible reverse pivot caused by a very poor setup. Your spine is tilted toward your target, it should tilted away from the target. This is the single biggest difference between pros and guys like you. You're "drawing dead" before you even swing. You lose both power and accuracy.

SOLUTION:

Feel as if your upper body is tilting away from the target at address and then turn against a firm right knee. You will notice the power difference right away. Then you can work on the accuracy part.

Look at your "head" at the top of your backswing and then at the finish. Its moved backwards. A classic reverse pivot. And there's no way out once this occurs.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Kids - chipping, then more chipping. Then putting, then more putting. A kid should not step on a tee box for 6 months, its a "KID KILLER". Make it FUN around the green.