Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Short game help...Is there a theory behind it?

So, I wanted to learn poker. I bought Theory of Poker and found 2+2 and learned all this cool stuff about poker. Played a couple hundred thousand hands and proved to myself that I can "beat the game"(by my standards).

I've been golfing recreationaly for about 10 years, now my 10 year old daughter is learning and I'm trying to help. She has a good swing and hits full shots well. She takes part in 2 or 3 JR golf programs a year. Like most golfers, the short game is the biggest problem. I try and work with her around the practice green, but we wind up either getting frustrated, or just goofing off most of the time.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a theory behind it like there is a theory behind poker? What am I trying to do when I am chipping, or putting? (Technique wise, I know what my main goal is)

Are there some good drills to groove my chipping stroke so I know I have the technique down?

Any book recommendations on short game, or working with kids on understanding the game and the swing?

I guess I had a few more questions than I originally thought. I'm still in the OMG a golf forum right here on 2+2 phase.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Short game help...Is there a theory behind it?

I'm not sure if there is a good book, I'm more of a hands on learner. My best suggestion would be to get a "short game" lesson from a pro. Have them go over technique and everything. They'll give you a bunch of good drills and it should help your game a ton. I just go out and hit shot after shot after shot to try and improve my short game..
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there some good drills to groove my chipping stroke so I know I have the technique down?

[/ QUOTE ]

When chipping, put a coin (or tee) 2 or 3 inches out in front of the ball.
Chip the ball and sweep the coin away with the shot.

This drill keeps you from scooping your chips (and pitches).

Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 AM

For a ten year old child I would merely play games with her. Nearest the hole competitions can be a lot of fun, move around to different stances and lies, never trying the same shot twice. Imo don't try and teach her technique,let her focus on target and the feel will come. If it's not fun it's a waste of time.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Yeah, most definitely. The best way a child learns is through fun games, not strenuous repetition. Try to see if she can chip the ball closer to you.. or have her lag putt from one side of the putting green to the other, getting as close to the fringe as possible.

A favorite of mine when I was learning was to put 6 tees in the putting green (around 6 ft. putts) and make them around 3 balls apart (2 rows of 3). As she makes a certain number in a row, make the tees closer together until they're about 1.5 balls wide. It's really challenging and addictive, but takes a lot of time due to setting it up.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing i thought of when i opened this thread
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

So, this is like the swinging down the line drill with a tee in the ground about 4 inches in front of the ball and one in the ground at an angle about 6 inches behind the ball?

Thanks to all so far, love to try new putting and chipping drills. Keep em coming.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 AM

I'd check out "Dave Pelz's short game bible" or one of his DVD's. He's the short game guru for a lot of pros, but his books are good for beginners.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:39 AM

If she likes to go to the golf couse to have fun, let her, if it isn't fun for her she'll never want to do it anyways. As a starter drill I usually have someone stand as if they were about to hit the ball, but instead of a club, put a ball in their hand. Have them take it back and throw it like they're hitting it. This gives them an idea of what kind of touch they need to develop for hitting decent chip/lob/ect shots.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:23 AM

Yes, keep it fun and Pelz's books.