Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Default NFL Draft Hypothetical

Just a hypothetical I was thinking about driving back from Austin all by my lonesome, earlier today...

What would happen if the NFL split the draft into 3-4 rounds of Offense only, and 3-4 rounds of Defense only? Meaning that teams couldn't really "load up" on D, or O, in any given series of years.

I'm guessing within 5 years or so, teams that are either really good offensively (say Colts), and really good defensively (say Bears), would move more to the center, creating more..not "parity"..but say less variance during singular games.

I understand that, like boxing, "style" makes for great games (big offenses versus big defenses, etc.) but would the games be more exciting due to the assumed decrease in variance? Or would football turn into "coinflipping"?

Overall thoughts on the subject, please. Would you like, or dislike this idea? Would it even change variance, or parity like I'm imagining it would, or not? I haven't thought too much about it, but I want to see what more knowledgeable folks have to say.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: NFL Draft Hypothetical

How would you determine who gets the first pick in the O draft and the D draft? I have never thought about this an it is an interesting idea.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you determine who gets the first pick in the O draft and the D draft? I have never thought about this an it is an interesting idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question...I suppose, of the two worst teams (record-wise) the team with the worst D would get the #1 D pick, and the other team would get the #1 O pick. Or, whichever of the 4 stats(team 1 O, team 1 D, team 2 O, team 2 D) is the worst? Of course this would get tricky because people would argue over how to truly measure how good a team's O and D is. But we're learning more and more every year about how to assess teams' abilities.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 PM

The bad teams would get better much quicker. Having the worst record would basically give you 2 top picks instead of one.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

you would have to figure out a way to make sure defensive players are actually picked as defensive players and vice versa.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad teams would get better much quicker. Having the worst record would basically give you 2 top picks instead of one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it has to be like that. Like I said, I hadn't thought much about it, but the idea isn't to give the worst team 2 top picks. Perhaps the draft rounds go D/O/D/O, etc. or o/d/o/d, ...maybe the worst teams decides if their first round pick is O or D, but exactly 2 of their first 4 picks have to be O, and 3 of their top 6 picks have to be O, etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Forget the logistics of the draft, just assume it all works out.

MOre importantly, would this make the league/games more exiting? If so, how? If not, how should I die? In a grease fire, etc?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i like this idea quite a bit.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like this idea quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like it would save a lot of franchises from themselves by disallowing them to overpursue on either O, or D, over the course of a few-year period.

In baseball, basketball, and hockey where the players play both D and O regularly, this wouldn't matter. But for football, I think it would be OK to break the draft up into two sectors.

Not sure what would happen for players like Deion Sanders, Dan Klecko (lol), Mike Vrabel (lol), etc. Bahhh!

EDIT: If this were implemented, it would probably give Mel Kiper, Jr. slightly more work than he already has. Not sure how he feels about that. He may unilaterally decide to veto it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] He's that powerful.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you would have to figure out a way to make sure defensive players are actually picked as defensive players and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. The whole idea seems to lack practicality due to this.