Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 AM

Default playing higher stakes leads to busto

Okay, probably stating the obvious here, but i've wrecked every single online bankroll i've had by moving up a few limits (while sitting on a decent roll at the time) as a function of running bad/being drunk/boredom and feel as if i'm about to do the same thing to my current br (playing 25c/50c w/ a 2k br). I find that as soon as i move up to a limit wayyyy larger than the one i play at (usually because of tilt from dropping like 6 buyins to monkeys), i get this sort of reinforcing euphoric rush that pretty much makes me play the new limit while i'm winning large amounts of money i've never seen....until it all goes downhill and i lose every dime. I'm probably one of the most studied up poker players i know, yet have this gambling tendency which i feel is my biggest leak and will keep me from ever being successfull in this game. How can I get rid of this gambling aspect of my poker player pshyche (sp?) and is it possible to ever be a winning poker player with this demon inside of me? Thx for the input.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: playing higher stakes leads to busto

dropping 6 buyins causes you to go on tilt and lose your br? gl. I'd be broke every week.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM

I have to agree. I know it's a tough thing to learn, but you need more patience. I've seen 20-buyin swings while still remaining objective. You just have to feel the tilt coming on and kill it asap. Another thing, quit playing while you're drunk. That will only lead to loose calling of your entire roll. DON'T DO IT!!! You seem like you're a solid player otherwise. Just see whether your actions are emotionally or objectively controlled.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 AM

1) Always exercise proper bankroll management. It might help for you to wait until you have a roll big enough to play at stakes that prevent you from being bored. Play at stakes that you aren't necessarily scared at, but high enough that it is interesting for you. You must learn to deal with running bad; this is a common part of the game and if you can't deal with it, you will never have any success. I say this with experience because I am trying to overcome the same thing. I am a well studied player but fundamentally I am a degen, and I always take those shots at the higher limits.

2)Never play drunk, this is equivalent to just tossing money away. When you're drunk you're more emotionally stagnant and you will make improper plays that you wouldn't normally do.

3)It is possible to become successful with your type of psyche, but you must figure out ways to contrll your urges. Everytime you feel the urge to try and catch up because of running bad, just remind yourself of all the times you went busto. Tell yourself that you are a winning player(if you are of course) and that if you just remain patient you will get back to where you were.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM

A wise man once said, to win at poker, you must be very good at losing.

How you handle the losses will directly impact your long-term results. Learning how to deal with the absolutely unavoidable losses is an important poker skill. Until you develop that skill you will not be a long-term winner. Period. There is no way around this.

Use every loss as practice for getting better at losing. You should specifically commit yourself to not jumping into a bigger game after your next loss. Can you do it? How long and how much money will it take for you to develop just that one simple skill?

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM

There are hundreds of books on how to play poker and yet so many losers. It's relatively easy to play a hand, and be a moderate winner, but still there aren't too many winners.

I think the main factor is discipline. It takes discipline to quit when losing, to move down in stakes, or just play solid poker. It even takes more discipline to realize when you are not in the right frame of mind to play and stop playing, even if you have been winning.

Most people simply do not have enough discipline. A case of this is the number of people who are overweight in the US. Most people know that lean meats and vegitables are good for you, and that they should workout. However, they consistantly opt for fatty foods and processed carbs and watching TV over working out and eating healthy. Gyms make a boatload of money off people who lack discipline. They sign up for a yearly membership and quit going within a month. It's simply too uncomfortable to go.

The fact is, discipline isn't easy to get, and if you don't have it, you are better off not playing.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM

truth

unless its vs semetary who will inevitably lose lose lose