Default Re: OK now....

dude, chill out ffs
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HUGE BOXES FOR ONE LINE POSTS ARE RIDICULOUS

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the boxes are roughly the same size. It's just that it's less noticable in this style because the reply buttons are at the top and the text in the body is vertically centered (instead of shoved all the way up), which cuts the whitespace in half, some above and some below.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be "pretty sure" all you want but you're just wrong. Look at onthebutton's 2 line post, 5 posts down from yours and tell me that's the same size box as it would be on the new system. The Upgrade has a Huge Minimum size Box for Every Post. It has you scrolling through a ton of ugly blinding white space air just to get through a simple thread.

PairTheBoard
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 PM

If you compare these 2 posts, you can see how UBB6.x hides the whitespace... the 2nd post adds the length of an avatar, but divides that space up on the right in 4 (actually 5) places... can you spot them all... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you compare these 2 posts, you can see how UBB6.x hides the whitespace... the 2nd post adds the length of an avatar, but divides that space up on the right in 4 (actually 5) places... can you spot them all... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

simply beautiful
Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are complaining about strictly cosmetic issues that probably could have (and would have) been easily tweaked. It's fairly obvious to anyone that there is more to readability than font size ( OMG I can't read this it's in white!) ), I don't disagree with that. Mat and others have made it clear that a change HAS TO HAPPEN because this version of the software isn't adequate for the needs of this forum. It seems a very similar user interface (like people here are asking for) isn't available with software that will fit the needs of 2+2. Touting user interface advantages of software that will soon be non-functional because it can't handle the traffic 2p2 experiences vs. the user interface of software that can handle the load seems kind of dumb to me.

A much better conversation would be one comparing software that is appropriate for 2p2, but that involves change, and some of you donkeys can't handle that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether you call it "Cosmetic" or something else, "Readabilty" is far from a Trivial Issue. Also "Pleasure of Viewing" is far from Trivial. If these Problems are not solved they are bound to impact the popularity of 2+2 usage. The only "tweaking" solution I saw being proposed was switching to one of the other available skins, which was no solution at all.

I realize that Change is often inevitable and nearly always takes some getting used to. But if the Product being offered by this Software produces intollerable problems in its Solution to our other needs, we should look to other Software Products that are better.

PairTheBoard
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are complaining about strictly cosmetic issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, all I'm doing is showing that the observation that there's "more whitespace" isn't due to the forum software consuming more pixels per post.

Along the way, I also commented on the fact that two fonts that are the same size can have wildly different readability.

[ QUOTE ]
A much better conversation would be one comparing software that is appropriate for 2p2, but that involves change, and some of you donkeys can't handle that.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can have both conversations. My discussion of various geometry doesn't exclude any discussion of whatever else you want to talk about.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are complaining about strictly cosmetic issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, all I'm doing is showing that the observation that there's "more whitespace" isn't due to the forum software consuming more pixels per post.

Along the way, I also commented on the fact that two fonts that are the same size can have wildly different readability.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We can have both conversations. My discussion of various geometry doesn't exclude any discussion of whatever else you want to talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I found your observations/comparisons pretty interesting, my eyes hurt reading the forum change software, surprised to see such font similarity. Strange, perhaps the glare of all the white space is to blame? Anyway keep up the 'inside baseball' stuff, these "strictly cosmetic" issues are integral to the discussion and future user friendliness of the forum.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM

I'm fairly confident that within a week all cosmetic issues would have been solved.

Change to vBulletin though.