Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Auto transmission won\'t shift

Alright, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that the tranny is going bad, but figured I'd post anyways. I've got a 98 Old Silhouette, and the transmission has stopped shifting regularly. It'll just rev up to 4500 RPM, and then it will finally shift. Anything that will be causing this to happen that doesn't require a new transmission? For the record, I barely drive this more than 2-3 times a week and never more than 5-10 miles each trip, usually less.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Auto transmission won\'t shift

I'm in your boat and the quick and dirty from my research is no -- its a matter of time.

I read that you can 'try' having the tranny fluid replaced (or flushed? but hondas shouldn't be flushed? something like that) making sure they replace the filter as well. This was the only gleam of hope that I stumbled upon but it was quickly refuted many times over by others...

I really don't know much about cars other than what I've learned from my own maintenance problems and being roommates with MillionDollaz.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:34 PM

Not necessarily a bad transmission, but the only way to know for sure is to have a transmission shop diagnose it. There are many things that can cause what you describe that don't require overhauling the transmission to repair.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily a bad transmission, but the only way to know for sure is to have a transmission shop diagnose it. There are many things that can cause what you describe that don't require overhauling the transmission to repair.

[/ QUOTE ]

can this [diagnosis] be done for free?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 PM

have you always checked to make sure your car fluids are full? (specifically transmission fluid)
Old 11-19-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way most shops operate is they will give it a once over for free. This is basically a 5 minute test drive and a quick look underneath. If the problem is obvious, they'll give you an estimate and you go from there.

Most of the time however, the shop after test driving will not be able to determine the problem. The reason is with transmissions, everything is enclosed inside the casing and there are a lot of different problems that can result in similar symptoms. A diagnosis usually consists of application of a scan tool to pull any existing codes and then removing the transmission and tearing into it to diagnose it.

Most shops charge a flat rate for a tear down... usually between $400 and $800 dollars. After they complete the diagnostics, they will make one of three suggestions:

1) Perform the repair, costing x amount of dollars.

2) Given the extent of the repair and age of the car, they might suggest you overhaul (rebuild) the whole transmission. Usually if the cost of the repair is more than half the cost to rebuild it, they'll suggest a rebuild.

3) Given the extent of the repair and age of the car, they'll suggest you replace the transmission outright with a used, remanufactured or brand new transmission.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 PM

I had a similar problem once with a ten year old car. If you haven't had the transmission fluid replaced, get that done. It costs ~75 bucks or so and will likely solve the problem.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have you always checked to make sure your car fluids are full? (specifically transmission fluid)

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to express oil (for oil changes) and they always check the fluids while doing the oil changes...last one was about 2months ago...and they "looked fine".

I have also been having electrical problems w/ blinking lights on the dashboard. The speedometer doesn't work, engine light comes on randomly but off most of the time...and sometimes the overdrive light blinks. When the overdrive light is solid 'on' is when I have transmission problems (as far as changing gears).

Battery light came on about 2 months ago and I replaced the alternator which cleared that up. The O2 sensor was replaced 2 years ago december to pass inspection. Timing belt replaced 2.5 yrs ago...that was a biggie - $650. The front axles are shot to hell,,,clicking when I accelerate through turns.

The more I read, I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, my computer could be malfunctioning.

But def going on the advice of others and picking up AAA and dumping this POS when it dies for a new car.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way most shops operate is they will give it a once over for free. This is basically a 5 minute test drive and a quick look underneath. If the problem is obvious, they'll give you an estimate and you go from there.

Most of the time however, the shop after test driving will not be able to determine the problem. The reason is with transmissions, everything is enclosed inside the casing and there are a lot of different problems that can result in similar symptoms. A diagnosis usually consists of application of a scan tool to pull any existing codes and then removing the transmission and tearing into it to diagnose it.

Most shops charge a flat rate for a tear down... usually between $400 and $800 dollars. After they complete the diagnostics, they will make one of three suggestions:

1) Perform the repair, costing x amount of dollars.

2) Given the extent of the repair and age of the car, they might suggest you overhaul (rebuild) the whole transmission. Usually if the cost of the repair is more than half the cost to rebuild it, they'll suggest a rebuild.

3) Given the extent of the repair and age of the car, they'll suggest you replace the transmission outright with a used, remanufactured or brand new transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

so i can't go to autozone and have them hookup a device to the computer in my car and do a quick scan for free or minimal cost?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar problem once with a ten year old car. If you haven't had the transmission fluid replaced, get that done. It costs ~75 bucks or so and will likely solve the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fluid needs to be flushed - not to solve the problem at hand but you cannot diagnose the problem without the correct fluid in it. You cannot drain and fill a transmission to replace ALL the fluid, it needs to be flushed.

Changing the fluid is highly unlikely to be the only repair necessary, but it is the first step.