Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Best Scientists OAT

I was talking with some friends recently about how the general public perceives science and was wondering who people here would rate as the best scientist in the below fields. I'm thinking about both in influence and talent (although feel free to separate them). Life sciences are the detailed ones since I'm biased.

1) Genetics

2) Neuroscience

3) Infectious diseases and/or human health

4) Biology in general

5) Physics

6) Chemistry

7) Mathematics

Feel free to drop some other subjects in or break up some of the subjects (physics could probably have a few categories but please make them relatively general).
Please give some reasoning on why you chose who you did.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Best Scientists OAT

"Relatively general." Heh. Nice one.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 PM

It's hard to pick just one person as scientific fields are so vast these days, but for physics I would have to say Nima Arkani-Hamed for several reasons.

He's in many ways a string theorist but is not nearly so dogmatic as the majority of people working in that field. He focuses on developing theories that are empirically testable and has a few that will be verified/falsified as soon as the LHC comes online. His work on the hierarchy problem has also gotten him an international reputation as one of the best emerging physicists, and he's set records in terms of citations and academic accolades (not that this necessarily means anything, but I think it's a good indicator) relative to his age.

In addition to being a brilliant theoretician he is hands down the best teacher I've ever had, and everyone else that has taken a course from him feels the same way. The physics community suffers a lot from poor teaching in my opinion and I don't think that the value of getting the next generation of physicists interested/excited about physics should be underestimated when looking at the long term future of the field.

Anyway, I'm a little biased, but that's my 2c.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Relatively general." Heh. Nice one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to pick just one person as scientific fields are so vast these days, but for physics I would have to say Nima Arkani-Hamed for several reasons.

He's in many ways a string theorist but is not nearly so dogmatic as the majority of people working in that field. He focuses on developing theories that are empirically testable and has a few that will be verified/falsified as soon as the LHC comes online. His work on the hierarchy problem has also gotten him an international reputation as one of the best emerging physicists, and he's set records in terms of citations and academic accolades (not that this necessarily means anything, but I think it's a good indicator) relative to his age.

In addition to being a brilliant theoretician he is hands down the best teacher I've ever had, and everyone else that has taken a course from him feels the same way. The physics community suffers a lot from poor teaching in my opinion and I don't think that the value of getting the next generation of physicists interested/excited about physics should be underestimated when looking at the long term future of the field.

Anyway, I'm a little biased, but that's my 2c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all time?

I guess I didn't say that outside of the OAT in the subject line.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 PM

I'm ignorant about most of these fields but:

[ QUOTE ]
5) Physics

[/ QUOTE ]
Feynman as he was good at bringing a fresh approach which went to the heart of the matter rather than getting caught up in technical details (although he was good at that too). He was also an exceptional teacher which probably skews my perception of him.

[ QUOTE ]
7) Mathematics

[/ QUOTE ]
Gauss - because he had a phenomenally broad knowledge - I think his understanding of maths was so deep I find it incomprehensible.

Cantor is actually my favorite, because he stubbornly stuck with what the maths was saying despite considerable professional ridicule, but not the best.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 AM

This is one of those threads where of course there are no right or wrong answers and the fun is in the debate. With that in mind, I'll give it a shot:

Genetics - Mendel.

Infectious disease - Salk

Biology in general - Darwin.

Physics - Feynman

Chemistry - Bohr

Maths - Leibniz

Also, these are OBVIOUSLY the correct answers so you all need not bother to post any more.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:31 AM

Didnt mendel fake some results to match his theoretical prediction rather than modifying his theory to fit the experimental facts? This doesnt seem like "the best scientist in the field of genetics" to me (although I have hazy memories that it was one of his assistants who faked the data, presumably to fit his boss's pet theory...)
Old 11-14-2006, 05:50 AM

Define best.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM

Off the top of my head:
Physics -- Newton
Math -- Euler (Gauss was pretty smart too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Some areas I know less about, as far as great scientists are concerned, but I'll still take a stab at it:

Infectious disease: Pasteur
Chemistry: Dalton
Genetics: Fisher (I guess from a statistical standpoint)
Biology: Rduke!! (or that Darwin guy)