Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Gold responds in some detail to allegations

[ QUOTE ]

The more I see about this case the more it looks like Gold is the lesser of two scumbags.

[/ QUOTE ]

which means that his lawyers have managed to cast a reasonable doubt in the minds of the 2+2 jury that there was any deal. I'm no expert, but it hardly looks like a lock for Leyser. I wonder what Leyser would be willing to settle for to end this. I know my figure would be a lot lower than 6M.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM

Proving an oral contract is always difficult. I don't know the facts, but I think that the plaintiff has an uphill fight.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Default When was the Voicemail left?

At what stage of the tournament did GOld leave that VM? If he left it when he was already in the money, then I think he obviously had some agreement to give Leyser half. But if he left the VM during the first couple of days of the tourney, then he probably didn't really think he was going to win and just said he would give the guy half as kind of a joking bravado thing. It's like when I buy a lottery ticket and I tell my friends I'll give them half.....I know I won't win. If someone told me I had already won the lottery, I wouldn't promise anyone half.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be a conspiracy buff to believe both that Gold was supposed to bring celebs to the tourn as part of his deal and that the agreement was never written down in any sort of contract, I guess making its existence harder to prove. But really, why else would bodog give him a seat?

[/ QUOTE ]

His charming table mannerisms and dashing presence are clearly big winners for Bodog, no?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 PM

he hired mark seif to be his lawyer?!?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Re: When was the Voicemail left?

[ QUOTE ]
At what stage of the tournament did GOld leave that VM? If he left it when he was already in the money, then I think he obviously had some agreement to give Leyser half.

[/ QUOTE ]

The day before the final table.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember hearing that Seif is/was a lawyer before he played poker...and I guess in Leyeer's spot it's important to grab the first lawyer you can find?!? Or maybe Seif specializes in cases where tournament swaps aren't honored?!?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM

I don't know when the other guy will host the files, so I'll put them up. They are fairly interesting reading.

Gold's Motion
Gold's Exhibits
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember hearing that Seif is/was a lawyer before he played poker...and I guess in Leyeer's spot it's important to grab the first lawyer you can find?!? Or maybe Seif specializes in cases where tournament swaps aren't honored?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess they knew each other and thought a quick phone call would get it done.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some amusing quotes from Gold's Declaration:

"I expressed a desire to take care of Leyser by sharing a portion of my winnings. I did not mean he would receive 50% of the winnings or that he was sharing my seat"

"I simply intended to make a gift to Leyser if I were to win any money because I felt bad for Leyser"

"During the tournament, Leyser asked me to document an agreement to pay half my winnings. I refused because no such agreement existed."

"Finally, after continued phone calls, I left Leyser a message that he would get "half after taxes"

"This was not a confirmation of any agreement, but a confirmation of my intention to take care of him."

[/ QUOTE ]

Having handled an awful lot of contract disputes, I smell serious [censored] in the lawyerly choice of words here. I'm sure no one needed me to tell them that.

This case is obviously going to settle and they should just get it over with.